Sunpak 266D filters/inserts? (hotshoe flash question)

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Markster, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Markster

Markster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My flash is slightly older. I got it as a present for Christmas one year. It was a nice gift and I have used it since, but never really looked into it or studied it.

Now I'm looking to get a diffuser or bouncer, I've noticed it has grooves over the lens, top and bottom, so that it can receive a filter or some sort of insert slid in from the side.

The problem is I have googled my heart out and cannot find what inserts were meant to go there!

Anybody have any? Know where I might find them? What is the general purpose?

I was hoping that I might get a diffuser insert rather than using a sock-type cloth diffuser over the top.

EDIT: Here's a picture from google:

[​IMG]

/EDIT

P.S. Are there any flash tutorials or articles about setting up bounces and/or diffusers?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011
  2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most of the accessories for Sunpak flash units weren't widely sold. If you find one you're lucky.
    The Sto-Fen or sock units work as well and are available.

3. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sunpak sold a colour filter kit and a mount for them, red, yellow, green and blue filters, if I remember correctly. I have a set somewhere for my 622.

There might have been a fresnel lens diffuser for the flash you have for wide angle lenses.

4. George Nova Scotia

George Nova Scotia Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not much help but here's what a set looked like for the MX124,130,134 and Autozoom 3000. It might give you some idea what to look for.

Attached Files:

5. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rosco and The Strobist

Rosco, a theatrical gel manufacturer sells a product called a swatch book; kind of a sampling of what they make for lighting deisgners to learn about thier offering. the small one is a bit tiy to previsualize. I go with the designer one which gives you 2x5" samples. I beleive B&H sell it for about $35.

There used to be a free smaller swatch book, until a web site The Strobist mentioned it, and the free supply dried up. Now I think you can actually buy a "strobist sample set'

With Rosco you will find all sorts of colours, like 100 or more in the full swatch book, as well as a a good assortment of diffusion.

They can be taped on it they don't fit your slot, or you don't want to cut the gel just to try it once. They have a theatrical line, and and a film line. The film line is really colour corectors sold to movie set sorts who do things like gel a window to match the colour of interior artificial lighting, etc.

B&H sell theatrical gel in about 24x30 fo about $5 a sheet I think.

As to diffusers, slip in is not always the best way to go. Diffusion is a function of the size of the lit translucent or reflective surface.

Spend some time on the Strobist, and you will know a whole lot more about how you might want to creatively use this strobe.

6. Markster

Markster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    George, thanks!

P.S. Mike, what is the "Strobist"?

I ordered a larger diffuser online. It wasn't too pricey (always a plus) and it showed before and after comparison photos to illustrate what I needed to know. I think I'll settle with this. I don't think I want to get into the gels (although I have worked with them lighting films/videos). I just was wondering if they had a slide-in-diffuser, but went with a better option.

Thanks, all!

7. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format