Super D/Aero Ektar Combo

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Snowball Earth, Feb 3, 2017.

1. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    sounds good, keep us posted. There's not enough rear brass on the lens to matter, so I'd not bother grinding that down. I am guessing you probably have to take 1/2" off the mirror? Hard to say. The viewing screen is easy to shim upwards, so you could maybe remount the back closer to get an extra 1/16 or so, it sounds like.

good luck,
    -Ed

2. Snowball Earth

Snowball Earth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did a little mock up this morning and I think I only need about an 1/8'' more recess and Ill be there.
    D

3. Snowball Earth

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well I sanded out that 1/16'' that I mentioned off of the back of the camera and thats all it took to get me to infinity. Good thing I didn't go farther than that because the closer the Graflok to the lens the closer the GG needs to be to the mirror, (I was expecting it to be the other way around) I nearly ran out of room but it looks like I'm safe! (could have shimmed the Graflok back out I suppose)

I decided to go whole hog and do the entire conversion light seals and all, doesn't look like altering those will be to difficult compared the the rest of the mod. I ended up removing about 3/8'' from the mirror frame, and even though I built a little jig and measured carefully 3/8'' was way to much and it clears the lens by a strong 3/16''. I panicked when I saw that because by the looks of things I may have blocked some of my view, but I put it together for a look and I seem to have full illumination on the GG! If you guys ever want to reduce the size of the mirror frame and still maintain the lip on all 3 sides use that metal HVAC tape to reconnect everything, it works like a charm.

I actually have another Aero Ektar, I had it mounted in an Ilex 5 so that I could have all of the fast shutter speeds from my Speed Graphic focal Plane plus the slow speeds from the Ilex, IE less than 1/30th rather than pushing the film when I run out of light. Its in the mail right now from SK so I'm looking forward to that.....

After I mod the light seals I can finally get into finishing the wood. I think I want to strip all of the paint off the brass, polish and lacquer it. Anyone know whats best to use to strip the paint of the brass? Regular paint stripper?

Dwayne

4. Snowball Earth

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Making progress, now all of the modification is done I can get to finishing....

Attached Files:

5. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    regular paint stripper should work ok on the brass.