Super8 Motion Picture stuff

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by TheFlyingCamera, Jul 21, 2009.

1. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just lucked into a very clean Bolex 155 MacroZoom (for $10 !), and I'd like to get some tips on how to work with the thing. I've shot video before, but I know that's a rather different experience (the camera is a different size, the medium itself is different, and so on). Are there any other Super8 shooters out here? Good sources for film and processing would be my first two needs.

2. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Spectra in LA have a good reputation for stock, processing & telecine. I've used them but I'm in Sydney so it's a bit awkward. The super 8 section of the forums at cinematography.com has a lot of useful info.

3. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Francis in VT

Francis in VT Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Bolex 155 Macrozoom

A beautiful camera. I'm sure others will have film supply and processing tips, I have memories of selling this camera. Other companies were pushing longer zooms but Bolex only had this 8-30-mm lens. The key word here is Macrozoom.
    In one of the demo films I saw the scene started with ultra closeup of some sort of grass then the 'FOCUS POINT' slowly moved out through the grass over water and touching whatever was in the field. I forget what the end was but it was a WOW moment.

5. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the feedback, folks. I'm off to try and get some batteries for the meter in the thing and give it a whirl. Anyone have any good sources for the replacements for PX-13 batteries?