Superia 1600 question?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by stradibarrius, Dec 22, 2010.

1. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If I shoot a roll of Fuji Superia 1600 does the drug store need to know anything special to process the film? Just plain old C-41?

2. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes just plain old C-41

3. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just plain old C-41.

4. Existing Light

Existing Light Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

it's regular c-41, so you're all good, assuming the people at the photo lab know what they're doing :D

BTW, did you find your superia 1600 in a drug store or chain store? I've never found anything faster than 800 anywhere around here. I've been wanting to grab a few rolls so I wouldnt have to push my 800 speed rolls to 1600 or 3200 in low-light situations.

5. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No, I bought this last year from Photo Barn in Lilburn, GA. They were clearing out some Fuji film because they are no longer going to carry Fuji. I got it for $1 a roll.

6. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    $1/roll, nice!

7. rhmimac

rhmimac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    it's becoming expensive in Belgium, some 6 to 7€, but I love it and I want to keep demand on Fuji because they killed Neopan 1600 because of lack of demand, d.mn.d; they say...

I overexpose 1/2 to 1 stop, it's already flat enough

8. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But if you overexpose it 1 stop then you could just shoot Superia 800 couldn't you? Though some say to shoot Superia 800 at 560 or 400, the same 1/2 to 1 over, but then you could just shoot Superia 400 at box speed... Is any of this stuff really good enough to shoot at box speed without getting flat yucky color and bad grain???

9. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There are just too many variables in C-41 processing now to take full advantage of print films' versatility. I shot lots of Fuji NPZ at kendo meets under crappy gym lights and rated it at 1600 knowing I could get a consistent 1-stop push with dependable results from my lab--when they ran a rock-solid C-41 line. Superia 1600 really does benefit from at least 1/3 stop over-exposure, if anything to buy a little cushion from so-so processing. I found 1600 to be a bit lifeless and grainy at box speed.

10. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes sadly my local labs now just run C41 through a few times a week and it is difficult to get good results. Digital scan and print of course... Should really do it myself like the B&W I do but I don't generally shoot enough color to make it worthwhile. I do have a few pro packs of Fujicolor, Portra and Solaris so I probably could use up a small kit right now.

11. phaedrus

phaedrus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Got no experience with Superia 400, but Superia 1600 *needs* an E.I. of 1000 here and Superia 800 (120 format) can be shot at box speed. So, about the same useable speed, but totally different color palette. 800 tends to saturated color whereas 1600 stays pastel.