SVA Student Work, sigh...

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by ParkerSmithPhoto, Mar 20, 2017.

1. ParkerSmithPhoto

ParkerSmithPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If (BIG IF) you want to catch "a glimpse of photography's future" and all its associated horrors, be sure to check out the latest crop of artographers from School of Visual Arts latest "Mentors" class. (Previous link is a mercifully brief overview. Full horror show located here.)

It's all there: the jaded, blank stares of dead-behind-the-eyes twenty-somethings whose thoughts rarely extend beyond the glow of their iPhones (oh, the ennui!), the yawn-inducing conceptual pieces which lack all sense of visual beauty (see, I photographed this piece of cloth to symbolize...), the utterly pre-diddly-ictible gender-bending (see, Venus was a man! Clever, huh???) and de rigueur, soup of the day homo-eroticism (like the world needs more photos of hairy bears in bathhouses with their junk standing at attention). Oh, mustn't forget the obligatory SJW/BLM cop-bashing!

In short, gross, predictable, tasteless and stupefyingly boring. If I were one of the "Mentors" for this group I'd be embarrassed.

Sorry, just felt the need to rant!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    And I thought I was a grumpy old fart:smile:

3. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Everything these days is just awful.

4. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    They are mostly just kids. Feel free to post your masterpieces from when you were 22!

The reality is maybe one of the whole bunch will be making a living in 5 years by doing photography. Most of them will go do something else. There are some good images in there as well. Art school is really about the idea of becoming an artist. The reality is you either are or you are not, and training isn't going to help that.

5. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    To 'make a living', one must also have good business skills.

6. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought some of the images were good. Most need improvement. Like mine.

7. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mine were not masterpieces, but they were pretty darned good IMHO!

PE

8. ParkerSmithPhoto

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It would be difficult to be as grumpy-fart as me.

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I once read that "you know when you're old, it's when your preferences become prejudices" :smile:

10. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Actually the media pages here are pretty brutal compared to SVA student work...

11. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thanks for the link parker.

i liked what i saw. i wish i could see the work in person, the internet is OK but in person i am
    sure they would look even better.

i mean, the starn twin's rhembrant and horse photographs look OK on the web, but are mind blowing in person.

not as a photographer or artist
    it is mostly about luck

12. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Actually theres a photographer here who occasionally posts solarization images... now that is where its at.

13. Prest_400

Prest_400 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hey, what's wrong about being 22? :wink:

I really like this quote. I have a few acquitances that are in a kind of trap. "Study photography, do more, become a photographer" Well, no. I do what I do as I like. I would consider doing some freelancing if it attracts me and selling some work is in back of mind.
    It is fun that they find the solution to become a student. One doesn't need regulated academics to be good. I am a business grad and it is enough.

So in my circle it's the ones aged 24 that aren't doing masterpieces. They are chasing some dream by photographing some girls they know, but being an artist is not in the map... Just something else. The one that is 22 is rather decent. :wink:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You mean the guy doing gum-over, Sabattier :D images? His stuff is the worst. :D

16. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Ya that guy ,I kind of like the guy , bit of an a hole but otherwise his work interests me.

17. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It's no worse than the "art" stuff photography students have been producing since, well forever. It's no better either.

18. ParkerSmithPhoto

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ah, I hate to be a sourpuss (actually, I quite like it...)

There's a lot of looking, but not much SEEING going on. Many of these artists surely think of themselves as cutting edge, with all the fashionable paint by numbers transgressivism; they are anything but. Everything is just so mundane, so sterile, so totally predictable in an entirely un-radical way.

I love the tiny, quotidian moments, for they make up so much of our experience. But to photograph every mundanity and treat it as some cosmic revelation WHICH MUST BE SEEN is truly an abuse of the medium. We've seen quite enough of it, thanks.

I guess some people look at this stuff and get excited. I just look at it and think "why bother?" And I really feel bad for these kids. They could learn some commercial photography and head out into the world with some skills to pay the bills. Instead, they are being fed this line that the world has an endless desire to pay thousands to acquire bad pictures made by immature, unformed artists. Rude awakening ahead...

19. jmlynek

jmlynek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pretentiousness is the domain of the newly minted. Not all of the images were "horrors".

20. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IDK parker
    i look at it and say, huh, that looks like someone is having a good time, great color saturation, kind of disfarmer-esque-avedon-heroin chic bored look to the models, kind of
    over the top baroque fluff, looks like now.
    not sure about the why bother part.
    i look at a lot of other photography, whether it is on film or other stuff and never really say why bother because whoever pushed the button saw something
    worth dedicating to film or paper or a file, or it fit into some other reasoning.
    i don't get a lot of photography, i look at a lot of street photography, landscape beauty shots, the latest modelmayham-rash of nudes
    and don't really get it, but i don't think i would say why bother because the person doing it must have had a reason for "bothering" to do it ...

actually i think it would a great thread to cherry pick an image out of someone's gallery, or collected library of their photographic history and ask them why they bothered ... i think it would be kind of fascinating to hear
    and learn what drives people to do what they do or what they DID, in hopes they don't re-gurgitate what their favorite artist might have said / something like " to see what it looks like on film "
    because while that is ALWAYS an answer it is usually the short answer and there is a longer answer that has nothing to do with that, except in the noise in background ...

the paying the bills part ...
    there are too many commercial photographers with very little creative backbone, having someone do
    creative work from a different perspective is breath of fresh air to both the client and AD/CD. and art school
    while it seems like an utter waste of time and effort to some, is a creative incubator to others..

of course UMMV

21. ParkerSmithPhoto

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I may have exaggerated a tiny bit... Oddly, I feel like the more work is out there the more it all feels the same. Sometimes it's better not to look at photography.

22. tedr1

tedr1 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a question.

Is that a skill you were born with or was it acquired, and if so how?

23. ParkerSmithPhoto

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for your feedback. Well said.

It was Robert Adams who said that the cruelest question you can ask about any work of art is "was it worth doing?" and that the answer is inevitably "No." Makes you realize that, like finishing third on American Idol, pretty damn good just isn't gonna get you in the realm of the Gods.

24. mrosenlof

mrosenlof Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I found the larger set more interesting than most of the gallery pages over at RFF.

25. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And, how about yours to judge?

PE

26. RauschenOderKorn

RauschenOderKorn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes - but isn't that just the right starting point to develop your own style and become a great artist?