Swapping an F3 against an F80

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by pierods, Dec 18, 2007.

1. pierods

pierods Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi,

I have got an F3 plus 2 MF lenses, plus an EM with a 50mm lens.

I was thinking to swap it against an F80. Problem is I don't see very well without glasses, and focus is always a pain for me.

Plus whatever "G" lens I buy, the F3 will not take.

Should I or should I not? I understand I am giving up a lot of ruggedness versus autofocus.

What to do?

2. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I you want to do so swap it with me. I know someone who wants to sell an N80 for $100 with the kit lens and I can swap it with you for the F3.

3. pierods

pierods Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    From Brussels?

4. Muihlinn

Muihlinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    that will be what I call forgiving trade.
    Keep the F3 and get a N80 (F80 in europe) for peanuts off ebay. The bodies runs below $200 in mint condition, and I 've seen some as low as $50.

5. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    brussels is a bit far from chicago but I would recommend you not to trade for the N80 unless you get some extra cash back.

6. mtnbkr

mtnbkr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's far from an even trade. You're better off just buying the F80 and a lens or two.

Chris

7. snegron

snegron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You would be better off trading your F3 for an F100! The F80 (or N80 as it is known here in the U.S.A) is a good camera but not as rugged as the F3. As others have mentioned you can get an N80 for a reasonable price; much less than the price of a used F3.

I have an N80 (as well as an F100, F3HP, F2, F, etc.) and I think it is a very good camera in terms of accuracy, weight, ergonomics, and size. I am not too thrilled with the somewhat loud autofocus though. Also, the batteries are expensive compared to the 1.5 button-type batteries of the F3 or the AA size batteries of the F100. I have the optional battery grip for my N80 which lets the camera operate with AA size batteries, but the camera is bulkier.

8. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    STOP! Big problem with F80 - it will not meter with AI / AIS manual lenses - it has no coupling. (you need to stop down in manual exposure)

Go for an F100, or the older F70.

I recently wanted to buy an inexpensive AF Nikon for my wife to use (not really into photography) but I wanted to be able to use my MF lenses on it - the F70 seemed to be the best value all rounder, capable of this.