Switching lens cells/elements.

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by markbarendt, May 25, 2014.

1. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So have a Schneider Convertible Symmar 150/265 and the shutter died. (Possibly a Copal 1)

I'm looking at another Symmar convertible, 210/370 to replace it and was wondering if they could be swapped. (Don't think I can get the info from the seller before buying and shipping.)

I do realize that the F-stop markings would be off but I can do the math and make my own marks on the outside edge.

Is there a place to find this info. Schneider's site seems to skip over the older lenses.

2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The "Symmar" and "Symmar-S" 210mm take a size I shutter.

3. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks!

4. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    https://www.schneideroptics.com/ click on Vintage Lens Data under the info tab.
    Both use a #1+1 shutter but check the cell spacing on both to verify that they are interchangeable.
    They are in Compur or Compur rapid shutters and their size numbers are not the same as Copal.
    The dead shutter may be repairable.

5. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may be able to transplant the aperture scale from your broken shutter to the new one, so dont toss it out. It can be as simple as removing two screws that hold in in place or it may be swapping the top marked plate of the shutter.