Symposium in Washington DC on April 9

Discussion in 'Workshops & Lectures' started by Scully & Osterman, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Scully & Osterman

Scully & Osterman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A Symposium addressing issues of 19th-century Western exploration, photographic practice in the post-Civil War Symposium in Washington DC wet-plate photography in the field and the parallel tradition of landscape painting will be held Friday, April 9, from 2 to 7 p.m.

The symposium is being held in conjunction with “Framing the West: The Survey Photographs of Timothy H. O’Sullivan," organized by the Smithsonian American Art Museum.

Speakers include Toby Jurovics, curator of photography and exhibition curator; Glenn Willumson, associate professor at the University of Florida; Joni Kinsey, professor of art history at the University of Iowa; J.C. Mutchler, assistant professor of history at the University of Arizona South; and Mark Osterman, process historian at the George Eastman House. The program concludes with a panel discussion featuring photographers Ranney, Ruwedel and Stupich, moderated by Paddock, curator of photography at the Denver Art Museum. The symposium is free and open to the public; no registration is required.

The program is sponsored by the Smithsonian American Art Museum and the Library of Congress.

About the Smithsonian American Art Museum: - The Smithsonian American Art Museum is located at Eighth and F streets N.W., above the Gallery Place/Chinatown Metrorail station. Museum hours are 11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily, except Dec. 25. Admission is free. Museum information (recorded): (202) 633-7970. Smithsonian Information: (202) 633-1000; (202) 633-5285 (TTY). Web site: .

2. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Scott? Barry? I hope someone I know goes to this. Diwan and I will be in Connecticut as Steve Sherman's soireé.

3. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Given that the notice was posted the same week as the event (HINT HINT) and it would have required taking time off to attend, I was unable to participate. I would have LOVED to go, though.