Synchro-Compur Repair

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by David A. Goldfarb, May 16, 2008.

1. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Take a look at the attachment and tell me what's wrong with this picture.

I've worked on Synchro-Compur and similar shutters before, but this one's of more recent vintage. It was about a stop slow on all speeds, so I flushed it out with naphtha, and now it's running much better, but the B & T settings aren't working. I've obviously got a pin that's not engaged or maybe a spring that's come loose, but I can't figure out where it is.

Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Okay, looking into this further, I realize that B&T are controlled by the two latches, one hinged right next to the "S" with a hole at the other end and the one just about 3 minutes clockwise from it, hinged closer to the lens opening. Immediately clockwise from the hinge for the first lever near the "S" there is a pin with a spring resting against it, and I think this spring needs to attach to something at its end, but I'm not sure what. Any ideas?

3. Colin Graham

Colin Graham Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Not sure if this will help, but here's a few pages on the #1 MX from the compur manual.

Hmm.. on second thought, not sure if it's legal to post these so feel free to delete as needed.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2010
  4. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had a similar one fail, I disassembled it and cleaned it up but I couldn't get the aperture blades back in place. It sits in a baggie now. Why are these shutters so difficult to reassemble? I finally got a copal #1 and put the cells in it.

5. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My GRAPHIC Synchro - Compur looks different from yours it's probably a different design and older because the flash connector is the older type of bayonet.

6. patrickjames

patrickjames Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FWIW I had the same problem with the same shutter and I ended up contributing it to wear after messing around with it for a long time. I have fixed many a complicated mechanical thing in my life but I was stumped by the shutter. I just could not get it to work appropriately. It might be worth it to send it somewhere (like Grimes or Flutot's) or just write it off and get a replacement if those settings are important to you. This may not be a lot of help, but it may save you the aggravation that I experienced.

Good luck David.

Patrick

7. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks, the diagrams are particularly helpful. There's one spring I'm not sure about, and this is a hint.

The shutter is otherwise working nicely, though, and it's not a lens that I usually use for long exposures. It's the 105/2.8 Xenotar that's mainly for handheld shots with my 6x9 Technika.