T MAX 100 Developing

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by janrzm, Jun 2, 2012.

1. janrzm

janrzm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've just loaded my first roll of Kodak T MAX 100 in to the camera. I use Ilford chemicals, ID-11, Ilfostop, Rapid Fixer, I've just started to look at developing and fixing times online, I'd really welcome comments from anyone else thats used this combination of film and chemicals.

Cheers

Jason

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Use the recommendations in the PDF's on Ilfords website. The stop bath and fixer instructions on the bottles are OK as wll. Good luck

Ian

3. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just go for it, i had that bug before, but once i started i never look back, i lost few rolls because of mistakes [wrong loading, not exposing the roll], but the development was always or mostly spot on, if there is a problem it is mostly me, follow that sheet Ian linked to and give it a try, Ilfostop and fixer are not a big deal, just let us know what you will get.

Good luck

Tareq

4. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, following Ilford's instructions is very reliable and provides great results.

5. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Establish good consistent habits now and you'll find they will become automatic once you have your processes down.

TMAX films can build contrast quickly so it's a good idea to be precise with your times and temperature that gives you the negs you want.

6. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Go for it.

I'd use the published time for development stage as a starting point. If you have to error, error on shorter side than longer.

Time for stop and fix aren't critical. 30 seconds stop and 5 minutes fix is sufficient.

7. John Shriver

John Shriver Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Be sure you have a good thermometer -- the change in contrast with developing time/temperature is steeper with TMAX than any other films.

8. Katie

Katie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. janrzm

janrzm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement....

10. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    tha's wthe chemistruy iuse w(ith tmax400),but i use twobath fixing with all tmax films!

11. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ralph, are you drunk? I can't understand what you typed/wrote :blink: :laugh:

12. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to do two bath fix on Tmax as well, but I stopped after awhile. Seems like it didnt need it, but what it did need was extra washing to get the dye out.

13. Early Riser

Early Riser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The advantage of 2 fixing baths is that often when using a single bath that single bath becomes silver saturated and does not fix properly. Leaving you not knowing at what point that fixer became exhausted and if the film has been fixed sufficiently. So I always use two baths and test the first bath while the film is in the second bath, when I discover it's exhausted, I simply extend the fix time of the second bath by a minute.