T model Rollei on it's way back.

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ToddB, Jan 4, 2013.

1. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey guys,

Got an email from Harry Fleenor last night. My T model Rollei it's in it's way back from CLA treatment. I can hardly wait to see it. I'll keep you posted.

ToddB

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2013
  2. Nick Merritt

Nick Merritt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just curious how long you were waiting for it. I just got yesterday from Krikor Maralian a 3.5E that he received from me on 12/24, overhauled, and mailed back to me 12/28.

3. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had Harry Fleenor tidy up my Rolleiflex K4B last year. It took 10 weeks.

He installed a Maxwell Screen and did a nice job on the rest of it. Very pleased.

4. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nick- out of curiosity, what did you have done to it and how much did it cost?

5. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Very cool! I had mine done by Midstate Camera over in Rhode Island and it worked out terribly for me. I had to send it back to them twice. It is still not right. The self timer, which worked before I sent the camera in, now often randomly seems to jam the camera up.

6. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    About 12 weeks. The 9 week marker was on December 20.

ToddB

7. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My camera didn't have whole lot of issues. It had the typical issue of laboring on slow speeds and jamming on occations. lack of a good lube and cleaning.The light meter on this model is very bizarre.

ToddB

8. Nick Merritt

Nick Merritt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sure, don't mind telling you that I paid him $325 + $25 shipping. I had mentioned to him that the self-timer worked intermittently at best, and that the winding mechanism was rough, but that a CLA was likely called for. His invoice says: "Repair complete shutter + replace main spring + self-timer; repair complete transport + adjust the door; check focus."

The meter is working and pretty accurate as far as I can tell, so he didn't touch it. (He has told me in the past that there are no parts for E meters anymore; he has parts for the F meters still.) Also, the glass is clean so he didn't open up the lenses at all -- I'm actually not so sure he works on the lenses.

This may be gratuitous, but he has told me that he doesn't think much of the T model. I've seen that said by others too.

One last thing -- interestingly, my camera had been worked on at some point in the past by Harry Fleenor since it has his sticker inside.

9. Spicy

Spicy Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Krikor also managed to fix and CLA my Cord V within about 3 days of receiving it. I was leaving the country at the end of Dec and he had it back to me with 2 weeks to spare. Definitely strongly recommended.

10. kbrede

kbrede Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just got an email back today from Harry, after inquiring about him working on a 3.5F I've got coming. He said he's running about 10 weeks on repairs ATM.

11. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've sent to Krimar three times, once for a 3.5T which I sent back for him to double check some things, including parallel-ness between the viewing glass and the negs (don't always agree). He said it was the best I could expect from a T. He reminded me of the age of these cameras and technology of the time (late 50's for mine), fits with Nick's comment from him about the T.
    The other one was a 3.5F, newer, CLA, nice job no issues.
    Both times he received the camera and sent it back out within 3 - 4 days.
    Cost in the original jobs has been between $300 and $350, shutter rebuilds, advance mechanism, probably typical CLA stuff, no lens work on mine.

12. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes the T model.. I asked Harry about the T in regards "are they any good"? I said.. if your wanting to use several hundreds of of rolls a month, it's probably not the best choise for that due to the fact a light less robust mechinism inside. But he went to say that T had a very good lens in it. I was mostly designed for consumer use. Lets fase it.. who out there shoots several hundred of rolls these days. Before I sent it off, I was totally impressed with the image quality.. pin sharp.

ToddB

13. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the late 1980s I had several Tessar lens-ed Rolleiflexes, including a T. Of all I had, the T had the sharpest lens - I used Panatomic-X on a tripod and compared the negatives with a microscope, the subject matter was fine detail at infinity.

I've read but cannot verify that the Tessar used in the T had lanthanum glass to inprove on the corrections. The internals of the T may not be up to the standards of other Rolleis, but they are excellent by any standard. Use it and enjoy.

Too bad you can't get PKR-64 and really enjoy that lens...:wink:

14. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Harry has had my 2.8F since a week before Christmas. I can't wait to get it back with the overhauled shutter. He told me 10 weeks.
    Dennis

15. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I also have a 3.5f. It has patina on outer part of camera, the self timer is funky, but overall.. function very well. I was thinking of submitting that later on.

Todd

16. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whatever you do, Todd... don't use that self-timer until you get the shutter overhauled. They tend to first "get funky" then jam...and when jammed you'll be completely out-of-luck since the shutter completely stops working!

17. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thats funny you mention that..when I got the 3.5F, i tried all the funtions to see what i had. I notice that the self timer was stalling. So I took note of that and stopped using it. I notice too... that in the shutter speed, there I believe a 1,2 in blue colored selector that kind of funky. The shutter stays open. So i don't use that eaither. I'm sure the CLA will take care of that.

Todd

18. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got my camera back last night. Amazing!! Everything work like it should. Slow speeds operate like it should. can't wait to run a roll throught this weekend.

ToddB