Tachihara 4x5 with lensboard for $460, fair price?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ziyanglai, Jun 29, 2014.

1. ziyanglai

ziyanglai Guest

Simple question, got an offer for a Tachihara in 10/10 condition (I'm not joking, it's virtually like brand new, I couldn't find a single scratch on the camera or the tripod mount), comes with a lensboard for $460. Does it sound like a good deal?

Thanks all.

2. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, it's a horrible deal. They should be ashamed of themselves.
    Tell me who is selling it and I'll go give them a piece of my mind (and wallet).

3. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And you hesitate?

4. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you can't get Dr. Croubie I'll take on the onerous duty of removing this item from the market for you. :D

5. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I recently sold a Tachihara on Ebay for $800.00. It was mint except for some slight wear on the tripod mount. I did sell it with a Caltar 210mm in mint- condition (rebadged Rodenstock Geronar) on a lens board. I have seen these lenses sell for $100.00 or less on Ebay lately.

So to answer your question, yes, it's a great deal!

6. Mark_S

Mark_S Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I would say that it depends.

The Tachihara is a good camera, and a used one is probably worth $460. The reputation for the camera has driven it's price up beyond what I think that the camera is worth. There are other japanese 4x5 cameras of a similar design (for example the Nagaoka) which can often be found for this price.

In my opinion, the pristine condition of the camera is irrelevant. If you are just going to put it on a shelf and admire it, then it is an expensive decorator item, if you are going to use it as a field camera, as it was intended to be used, it won't stay pristine for long.

7. ziyanglai

ziyanglai Guest

Ok that's what I thought. Thanks everyone. The reason I asked is because that I shoot mostly on monorails and press cameras, and I'm unsure of the market in field cameras...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. ziyanglai

ziyanglai Guest

I'm going to use it as a field camera, but when I'm not using it, it'll be on my shelf in the living room for people to admire :smile:

9. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Be prepaired for people to admire it while you are using it too. They will be asking questions like, "Did you do the restoration on your beautiful antique camera yourself?". :D

10. ziyanglai

ziyanglai Guest

Haha.. Ken Rockwell(love him or hate him I don't care) says that the camera attracts too much attention and makes it hard for him to focus on creating images in his review.

11. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Before I bought my first digital camera (Nikon D200) I did some research on digital cameras and found Ken's site. Ken's review on the Tachihara and large format photography got me so interested that I bought a used Cambo SC monorail. I was soon hooked and bought a new Tachihara.

I have been asked if I restored the antique camera myself. They looked surprised when I told them that I bought the Tachihara new. They talk about the beautiful Cherry wood and (faux) brass fittings. They want to look under my dark cloth and then ask why everything is upside down, etc. etc. etc. That little 4x5 got more attention than my 8x10 Wehman does. :D

One more thing about Ken Rockwell. I get a kick out of him but I know some people hate him. Love him or hate him, you would be surprised at how many people got started in large format because of him and his website.

12. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    heh, I've also been asked about my "antique" or sometimes my "ancient" camera, and that's a Toyo 45G, less than 15 years old, and all metal, no wood on it.

13. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would to score one of those beauty's. Just stunning.

Todd

14. ziyanglai

ziyanglai Guest

Does the "shine" wear out over time? I haven't been using view cameras much in popular tourists spots, so I really haven't been asked much about how the camera/film works.

I actually started shooting with medium format after seeing his MF page, I was amazed by how large and how much detail was in a 6x9 negative/ slide (I started out MF with a Franka Bonafix 6x9 folding camera) that I immediately bought a 4x5 camera after only shooting 2 rolls of MF!

Just my honest opinion, his site, especially all the articles that talk about film, are great. I don't see why people hate him so much. If you disagree with something that he says, then don't follow it. There's no need to rave about it on the Internet..

15. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format

I've seen a lot of used ones on Ebay and the bright brass looking finish usually looks great. Ken Rockwell says that he doesn't know what the finish is but it holds up really well.

I like Ken but I don't agree with everything he says. His film articles are pretty good and like I said before his Tachihara article got me interested in large format. I had shot 35mm since the early 80's and had shot medium format for a while before I bought my first 4x5.

Some feel that Ken is misinforming the (digital) masses or like you said, hate his personality. Read his site and form your own opinions.

Now for some fun, google why Ken Rockwell is the Chuck Norris of photography. :laugh: