Tachihara 5x7/8x10

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by MikeK, Jan 28, 2004.

1. MikeK

MikeK Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Any Apug'ers familiar with the Tachihara line of cameras. I am thinking of either getting the 5x7 or 8x10 version, tending toward the 5x7 as it takes Technica lens boards, has a 4x5 reducing back and I have a 5x7 enlarger.

Thoughts, comments suggestions.

- Mike

2. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

3. George Losse

George Losse Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Mike,

I used a Tachihara that was sold as a Calumet wood field for about 4 years when I first got into the 8x10 format. It was a fine camera. My only complaint was that it was only a double extension. You never know how much bellows draw you really need until you don't have enough. It locked down nice and tight and wasn't sloppy in the movements. I used a modified B&J reducing back to also shoot 4x5 with the camera.

When I was thinking about getting into 8x10 someone gave me some great advice. "Put your money into your glass, you can upgrade your box later, if you think you really want to stay in the format."

I sold the camera to a friend about ten years ago and he is still a friend and he still uses the camera.

4. George Losse

George Losse Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Mike,

I used a Tachihara that was sold as a Calumet wood field for about 4 years when I first got into the 8x10 format. It was a fine camera. My only complaint was that it was only a double extension. You never know how much bellows draw you really need until you don't have enough. It locked down nice and tight and wasn't sloppy in the movements. I used a modified B&J reducing back to also shoot 4x5 with the camera.

When I was thinking about getting into 8x10 someone gave me some great advice. "Put your money into your glass, you can upgrade your box later, if you think you really want to stay in the format."

I sold the camera to a friend about ten years ago and he is still a friend and he still uses the camera.

5. steve simmons

steve simmons Inactive

View Camera did an article on 5x7 cameras in our Sept/Oct 03 issue. There are lots of choices. The article is on our web site.

www.viewcamera.com

steve simmons

6. happysnapper

happysnapper Member

I thought that Tachihara was a road behind Mt. Diablo...no? :whistle:

7. MikeK

MikeK Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I thought it was a little further south in San Ramon :smile:

- Mike