Tachihara 8x10 --- rear movements?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by BradS, Aug 25, 2009.

1. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Does the 8x10 Tachihara double extension camera have geared focus movement on the rear standard?

What about the triple extension model?

2. Paul Cocklin

Paul Cocklin Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I can't speak for the triple, but the double extension I just sold does have geared focus. Each side was independent of the other, though, but it had a scale mounted on each side to ensure that the rear standard was evenly advanced or retarded.

See attached photo

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2009
  3. aluncrockford

aluncrockford Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    As luck would have it I have just bought a triple extension model last Friday,and very good it is too . It has geared focus on the back through a nut on the right ,the left is for locking , it also has some swing ,no left to right and no rise and fall , after using it for a few days it is a very easy camera to operate ,the screen is a lot brighter than my sinar P2 and all in all is a very aestetic camera . the only small snag is the lack of geared movement on the front rise and fall ,this makes slight changes with a heavy lens a touch interesting , all in all if you were looking at a very usable camera for not a lot of money I would certainly consider the triple extension

4. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks guys. I was not able to find this information in any other description of the camera. I have seen and briefly used a 4x5 Tachihara - which does not have rear focus and so, assumed that the big 8x10 did not either. Then I looked closely at some photos of one the other day...and began to wonder. I wish I knew this earlier.

I really cannot understand why dealers and manufacturers do not advertise this (focus movement on rear standard)...the lack of the ability to focus with the rear is a make-or-break for me. I've decided that I'll not buy another LF camera without it.