Taiwan

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Robert Hall, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hi all,

I’m going to Taiwan the end of this month for a show and tour of the island. I am very unfamiliar with Taiwan and was hoping someone had suggestions that may make my trip more enjoyable.

I’m planning on taking my 8x10 (my medium format camera) :smile: and would like any advice for areas of interest. I especially like religious art and would like to know the “ins and outs” of what would be allowed to be photographed and if there are specific things I should not do.

I will be in Nantou for 4 days then on around the island ending up in Taipei.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

2. jtsatterlee

jtsatterlee Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Robert-

I usually have good success with Lonely Planet guides as a "jumping of point" (use the link to get to the Taiwan edition, Borders carries most of their titles)

They are usually written by someone in country and are frank about locations (ie. whether or not they are touristy or more geniune to local culture)

-John

3. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

I was there a couple of years ago on a biz/fun trip. I didn't make many photographs and I'm not much of a city person. To the north was a town full of family grave sites (little houses) and temples. Very interesting. From the north I went around the island down the east side, then down the coast to a town with hot springs. I don't remember the name of the town, but from there over the mountains to the west was just beautiful. There was farmland followed by a deep river gorge and high mountains in the clouds.

I travelled with a local and it seemed I could take pix of everything or anything. Folks seem to ignore you most of the time. I doubt they would bother you with an 810.

Hope you like Chinese food.

4. michaelsalomon

michaelsalomon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Make sure to visit Shang Kai Chek's memorial in Taipei...it will blow you away

5. Alexz

Alexz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Granted.
    Visit my wbe site (www.zabrovsky.com) you'll find in the galleries how Taiwan (and Taipei specifically) can look. Lots of photo opportunities...

Alex

6. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Do you need a Sherpa?

7. hortense

hortense Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My suggestions in order of most interesting would be Toroko Gorge, Sun Moon Lake and the mountains northeast of Kaosheng. The mountain range that through which Toroko Gorge was literally "Carved" enlarging the aporiiginal trail is amazing. This mountain range is pure green marble!

8. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thank you. Very helpful.

Did it rain constanly?

9. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I'm leaving soon, better get your ticket!

10. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Excellent! Thank you.