Talk me out of it!

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by olleorama, Aug 11, 2011.

1. olleorama

olleorama Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm thinking of buying a medium format rangefinder. One more that is. I have the mamiya super 23. Thinking of buying a fuji gw670III. I need some portability for shooting some stuff on location under time pressure. I don't think my RB67 will be the right tool. And the super 23 is just so odd looking.

How much smaller is the Fuji? Anybody used the two of them?

(Well, a lot of buying going on for me.)

2. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Give in... buy the Fuji... it's a great camera... you'll be happy you did! :D

3. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just do it!

4. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Are you really worried about how the Mamiya looks? Maybe you could dress it up a bit. Put a bow on it or something.

5. olleorama

olleorama Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't care how it looks. But the subject often do, giving me and the observer of the photograph a strange look. A face that says "What on earth is that soul trapping contraption?"

I'd hate to sell the thing though.

6. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I used the GW690III quite a bit. Some thoughts to consider:

-It's not really all that portable. It feels like a giant 35mm RF and is quite cumbersome to handle at times.
    -The shutter on B/T setting does not close after 1 second, rather you must place the lens cap in front and then click the shutter shut.
    -Extremely sharp at most apertures except at f/32 I noticed it began to look quite poor.
    -It is RUGGED. I dropped it down the Grand Canyon about 400 feet with no scratches, no dents, only a broken filter.
    -If you're going to buy a GW670III, why not get a GW690III and get the extra negative space. It's the same camera, just with different masking and counter. Same size, bigger neg.
    -Lastly, consider the GF670. I finally got to handle one and it's fantastic. Small, fits in a breast pocket, meters well, and can be used on a 35mm tripod without complaint.

Just some thoughts to consider. They are great cameras nevertheless, but I figure I would share.

EDIT: I used the Mamiya Universal at the same time (funny how you ask) and can say they are similar in size and weight. Granted, the Fuji GW670/690III is lighter, but they really are quite similar in size. Seriously consider the GF670.

7. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why do you torture guys like me?

8. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    400 feet down the Grand Canyon, hell I'll take 2 of them if they hold up that well. Wow

9. Chrismat

Chrismat Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are interested I will be putting up for sale my Agfa Record III 6X9 folder. It isn't as rugged as the Fuji, of course, but very capable image-wise.

10. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I wish I was kidding. I never actually "owned" the GW690III technically, but used it for over a year while I rebuilt the lenses for my Mamiya 23 and my Super Ikonta.

It fell down and tumbled like you couldn't believe, hitting rocks, skipping over ledges and my heart sank like no other. I climbed down to the amusement of about 30 tourist and recovered it hung up on a nice cactus patch. Not. A. Scratch. I even went to Flagstaff and had the shutter tested. Perfect.

Now that is rugged.

11. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I owned a GW680III ('till it was stolen!), and I really loved it and will buy a replacement one day. It is a nice modern rangefinder - comfortable to use, with a great lens. It looks fairly normal until you see it "to scale" with a 35mm camera of any description... I actually preferred it to the GF670/Bessa III because of its very manual nature and the certainty of shutter action ("click", rather than "did I actually press the shutter - I can't tell?". I would rate the lenses about the same really.

Marc!

12. olleorama

olleorama Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I really love the 6x7 format, and 2 more frames per roll does make a difference. But thanks a lot for the information.

13. hairygit

hairygit Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    TALK YOU OUT OF IT???????

Hi olleorama, I'm afraid your on the wrong forum to find anyone to talk you out of it, if you want someone to do that join a di**tal group!!!!:smile: If you want to buy that camera, or indeed ANY film camera, DO IT, you'll only regret it later if you don't:sad: After all, it's a sad fact of modern life that real cameras are treated so badly by modern society, chucked in cupboards or damp basements, that you need to grab them while you can:wink: Buy it, use it, and look after it for future generations to enjoy!:D

14. dnjl

dnjl Member

Shooter:
    35mm

I'd like to add to that list:

- The I and II models are every bit as good as the III, at a much lower price. The lens is exactly the same.
    - The rectangular lens hood on the I (which I have) does not allow you to use a filter at the same time. I don't know about the other models, although I have heard that the retractable hood on the III is often very loose.
    - The shutter is a quiet whisper, but the counting mechanism makes a loud CLUNK every time you release the shutter. But then again this camera isn't exactly stealth anyway.
    - The shutter syncs at all speeds (up to 1/500)
    - The 90mm 3.5 (= 39mm equivalent on 35mm cameras) lens is spectacular in every way. If you need something wider, there's also a GSW690 out there with a 65mm f5.6 which is reportedly as good as the 90mm.
    - In typical Fuji fashion, the strap lugs are both on one side. I prefer it like that, but I've heard some people complain about it.

15. olleorama

olleorama Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you sir for those nuggets. I'm getting a good deal on the mark III though. I also like the vertical strap thing, my Bessa is usually slung that way (with the trigger winder)

16. Pupfish

Pupfish Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'll have none of that, thank you very much just the same.

If the OP really wants to be talked out of it (and I'll take it at face value that he does), consider that severely abused examples are indistinguishable from ones that have been pampered... how can you possibly know which you're getting ?:blink:

17. olleorama

olleorama Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good question! Hmmm...