talking timers, anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Sean, May 3, 2005.

1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I could really use some kind of timer that speaks to me while I'm doing film tray development. A time notification every 30 seconds would be great 30 seconds.. 1 minute.. 1 minute 30 seconds.. 2 minutes.. etc

I found 1 talking timer on ebay for $20 but it only gives notifications per minute and only in the last 10 minutes.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. chuck94022

chuck94022 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just use a metronome and keep the count in my head. It helps if I *don't* play music while doing it! If I'm daylight processing in the jobo, I use a regular digital kitchen timer.

I find that my processing times are short enough in the darkroom that I rarely lose track. But I'm just doing paper in the dark at the moment. If I were to do film, I'd preset a countdown timer and just process until I hear the beep. Paterson makes a triple timer that allows you to preset three different times and run them independently.

-chuck

3. dylder

dylder Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sean, I have one that counts down each minute (might be longer intervals over 10mins) until it gets to the last minute, then it announces each 10secs, then goes 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 *boom* I checked this for someone else a little while back, might have been in 'our' forums.. might not :wink:

If you don't hit the stop button, it starts reminding you 'one minute over', etc. Basically the reverse of the countdown phase, so you can get 20mins worth of 1min warnings.

Only problem with it I've experienced was when using it to time RA4 printing steps the start button is pretty small (and you need to hit a different button to recall the memory time) but a couple of bits of 'glow in the dark' tape would probably fix that.

Here it is -> http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42784a150ab08aa4273fc0a87f9c0749/Product/View/Y5187

5. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    that's the one i was looking at, i think i might try it, would be cool if dse in NZ has it :smile:

6. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    checking this out thanks

7. chuck94022

chuck94022 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's cool! I'm going to have to toss my metronome! :smile:

8. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

That photolab software is really cool.
    I'm NFG with electronics so I wish that someone would market a pre-built enlarger interface. It would be the ultimate wet/dry timer.

9. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sean, I reckon the ones from DSE are the duck's guts. I've been using them for years. They used to be $25 AUD and now they're $20 AUD. If you can't get them in NZ, give me a yell and I can get you one here.

I accidentally melted two timers the other day trying to dry them with a hair dryer, but even then they actually started working again.

10. GeorgesGiralt

GeorgesGiralt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi !
    I've bought the very same timer, speaking French, at a shop for blind people.
    It was about 10 € each.
    Check these kind of shop for some useable items for us...
    Have a nice day

11. ElrodCod

ElrodCod Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    It would be simple to make your own custom timer with a $20 audio cassette recorder.

12. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been using talking timers for about 2 years and love them! They cost about $10.

13. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't done E6 myself in years. But, when I did, I made a tape with all of the timings, warnings, instructions, etc. To fill in the spaces between steps, I picked out music that I was familiar with and could tell when the next step was approaching by the music. It worked great!

Without the need for music, any recorder would do.

Cheers

David

14. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Radio Shack

I once saw a fellow flying his model plane with a talking countdown timer. It was so cool I had to get one for my darkroom. Radio Shack has it adn it's cheap. I love it and couldn't go back to my old stop watch.

Radio Shack Catalog number 63-877 talking timer.

15. Timothy

Timothy Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Timer - Shmimer !

Hey you guys, what about a cheap tape recorder with some music, or whatever, and your own voice doing "Voice of the Darkroom" announcements at regular or significant intervals.

Tim R