Tamron Adaptall SP 300mm f5.6 lens

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Wolfeye, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've recently picked up a couple of nice-performing Adaptall lenses. While looking around to see what's out there in this universal mount, I read some high praise for the 300mm SP lens. Unfortunately, the images I've seen online given as samples from this lens have left me thinking the lens is very overrated.

Does anyone here have this lens and could share some sharp pictures from it? Macro or otherwise.

2. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought one secondhand a few years ago as I was also aware of its reputation. My one wasn't all that impressive, so it became one of my first ever sales on the auction site. If you're looking for a vastly underrated Tamron, the SP 70-150 F2.8 soft focus may well be my sharpest lens (when the soft focus is turned off!). It's quite long and heavy for a portrait lens, but well worth the effort.

http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/51A.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2007
  3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The one that is highly rated is the SP 300/2.8. I haven't used it myself, but there seem to have been a number of professional nature and sports photographers using it.

Tamron lenses I own and like are--

SP 17/3.5

SP 35-105/2.8 ASP constant aperture zoom

SP 90/2.5 (I have the first version, but I gather the later 2.8 versions are comparable)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2007