Tech Pan for N+3 and greater

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Loose Gravel, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

I have read all that I can find about Tech Pan for use as a 'normal' contrast film, but find very little for its use at high contrast. I don't mean litho film, but years ago I used Tech Pan to acheive N+3 and N+4 to resolve the inherent contrast of a subject, not its contrast due to lighting, but more its contrast due to color. Exposure was a bit tricky and it wasn't hard to get a bulletproof neg, but luck be with me I would get interesting images taken on overcast days, in the shadows. This, coupled with the red sensitivity, made for images that are not like others. Now I have come into some more Tech Pan film, both roll and sheet film.

I'm would be interested to know if others are experimenting in this realm and what film developers are you using? I have used D-23 without any part B. It is similar to POTA, but is probably even weaker. It seems a little uncontrolled and I would like to find a developer with more control without too much experimentation as the film stock is limited. Also, do any of you have comparisons of Tech Pan with Imagelink?

2. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've heard that John Sexton and others use TP for scenes with very low contrast. I believe that he developed in D76 or Tmax RS.

If my memory is serving me rightly, TP gives approximately N+4 if developed like a "regular" film, such as TMX 100. If it were me, I'd try Xtol 1+1 or d76 1+1 for the times recommended for TMX100. I'd do some test exposures, but I expect the ei would be about 32 to 50 at that level of expansion.

I used to shoot quite a bit of TP, and I developed it in TD-3 or C41 developer (just the C41 developer!) In my system both gave about n+1. Developing longer would probably give N+4, but I wouldn't try exotic brews ususally used to give low contrast unless using a "normal" developer proves unsatisfactory. Exposure and development time are going to be more critical than usual.

Have fun!

3. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I use the Aerial Recon Panatomic X which is very similar in structure and red sensitivity. ASA 32 and you will NOT find grain with a grain magnifier. I'll admit it's a little hard to control in contrasy light but in overcast days where extra contrast is nice it's great. I've used Rodinal at 1:150 to get in the 6+ minute range. Now if you skimp on the quantity of develper you can exhaust it. 300ml for a 4X5 would be plenty. Rodinal is good for acutance, bad for grain. But since grain is impossible to see with these films and acutance is likely what you're after, it's a good developer.

4. KenM

KenM Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Don Kirby has used Techpan developed in Dektol to get N+8.....

I just purchased a bunch of Techpan, so I'm looking forward to using for those low contrast subjects....it should be fun!

5. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

There was a good article about 2 years ago in Photo Techniques on developing Tech Pan.Written by a Kodak consultant just as they were discontinuing it
    Mark

6. KenM

KenM Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Mark, you wouldn't happen to know the issue, would you?

7. KenM

KenM Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    D'oh! Didn't realize that PHoto Tech Mag had a good issue search function. I found this:

Technical Pan, a high-resolution, panchromatic film, may be the solution for black-and-white photographers searching for higher quality. Vol. 25, No. 5, page 50, year 2004, by Dimitri Papadimitriou.

Is that it?

8. KenM

KenM Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hah, I kill me - I have the issue. :D

Thanks Mark! You're a great help!

For everyone else, it's the 'Chicken' issue, September/October 2004....

9. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

I should have thought of this Jim: use a discontinued developer with a discontinued film. Truthfully, I've heard of this being quite good. I don't have any Rodinal right now, but I hear it coming back.

Anybody know what Kirby used?

I have the PT issue 5. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll study.

-LG-

10. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I need to boost contrast, I sometimes use TP at an EI of 200 or 400 and develop 3 or 4 minutes in Polymax developer after presoaking. I also bracket in half stop increments.

11. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Hi, found this old thread and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for N+4 development with Rodinal and exposure? I'm taking some picture in the fog and only have 2 rolls of tech pan.

Jon

12. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For high contrast with TechPan, I've had good results with Kodak D-19 and with Ilford's Universal PQ Developer (see the APUG chemical recipes for both of these developers).