Technidol - WTF?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by michael_r, Oct 20, 2011.

1. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can anybody explain why Technidol would be selling for such high prices on ebay? A few months ago I was trolling the back room of a local camera store here and found a few packages of Technidol (the little box with blister packs of liquid concentrate inside). The store wanted $2 so I bought them for sentimental value.

I don't know, I thought expired developer would be worthless. I wonder how old this stuff would be anyway. I can remember as late as the early 90s I would buy Technidol in boxes that had little glass bottles of concentrate instead of these blister packs. Anyhow I was going to throw these little boxes away when I recently saw a classified post on here asking >$100/box. Then I checked ebay and saw some similar prices. WTF? You can make your own POTA for dirt cheap, and that's pretty much all Technidol is. It was never that good a developer anyway.

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like anything discontinued by Kodak, the trolls will convince idiots they have to have it at an outrageous price. After all. if it costs that much, it must be worth buying.

3. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Had a similar situation. I found a bulk roll of Tech Pan in a closet, probably 20+ years old. Thought, if I could find some developer, I'd give it a try. Several months ago I found a few of the blister packs of Technidol on Amazon. Quite reasonable, so I bought it. Looked again recently and, like the OP, only found some at pretty stupid prices.

4. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Technidol doesn't really go bad, on account of the fact that it's sealed in oxygen-free packets. I've used 15 year old Technidol with good results. That being said, I picked up that developer for $6 about a year ago ($12 sticker, and 50% off for being expired), gave 5 packets away, and used the last one to develop a roll of Tech Pan I won in a contest. Now I wish I'd have waited and sold each packet for enough to make 10 gallons of POTA.

5. Tony-S

Tony-S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just buy it from the Photographer's Forumulary.

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are looking for some, I've seen some recently at regular prices on the shelf in Vancouver. I just can't remember which of two stores it was :smile:.

It was either Lens & Shutter on Broadway, or Leo's Cameras on Granville.

I'm sure they would ship to Montreal.

7. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an unopened package of Kodak Tri-Chem-Pak here. Anyone want it for $10,000. :D

I also have an unopened package of Kodak Matrix Film developer part A! Wow. $10,000 for that too! :D

PE

8. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have a few twin-packets of "Kodak photo-fix", Cat 153 1011. One mixes both packets together to make 7 quarts of fixer.

Yours for $5 each plus shipping! Not really, though I am curious if it would still be any good.

Vaughn, who has some Technidol but you can't have it...

9. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    WOW! :laugh:

I think my dad has a few unopened rolls of H&W Control. $10,000/each! He also has an unopened Kodak blotter roll :D

Thanks to everyone who responded. Anyhow maybe I'll just put my Technidol on ebay for a ridiculous price and see what happens. I never thought Technidol/Tech Pan was any good anyway. But let's not get into the document film nonsense in this thread. I wonder what other junk I can come up with? I'm pretty sure I have a box from some 1970s Rodinal somewhere (no developer, just the box :D).

10. Alan W

Alan W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've got several bags of kodak ektanol warmtone developer in my darkroom,does anyone expect the price of this stuff to sky-rocket?I've got some kodalith too!

11. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    A platinum print and a carbon print. Outdated Tech pan in Technidol. :D

Attached Files:

12. BrianL

BrianL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a few rolls of 120 and maybe 35mm Tech Pan in the freezer. Wonder if their value will likewise increase. :0 Might be a better investment than a stock portolio.

Michael, no sure if you are joking or not. I shot Tech Pan for years and had it developed in Technidol with great results. Tech Pan takes time to learn because of its charactor. I killed more than a few rolls before my developer and I figured out what subject matter it works well with and learn how to get teh right results with the developer. After some months just using it, it became my main film for some years. Then we experimented and developed it as a transparency and learned to get a smooth continious tonal range out of it and that was it. Jaw dropping to see it as a mf transpareny. It drew me away from Kodachrome as my stock tranparency film. It was like losing my favorite friend when it was discontinued. I've never found an emulsion I liked as well. Pan F is okay but still not Tech Pan.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2011
  13. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been fiddling with a home brew Tech Pan dev from the Darkroom Cookbook, and it works very well. I have a couple of sachets of technidol, but not enough to work with the amount of film I am working through.

I bought a sealed 25 sheet box of old 8x10 tech pan at a camera show for $5 last year. The box was distressed. I cut the 8x10 sheets down to 4x5 film size. It turns out that one (always the same) quadrant of the 8x10 has an adhesion spot. Something heavy was placed on the box for a long time and the emusion has thinned as it flowed away from that spot. Stll, 75 sheets of tech pan 4x5, and the ability to fine tune developer results on another 25 sheets, not bad for $5.

14. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    BrianL,

The results I found most acceptable with Tech Pan, after much testing were with TD-3. Still, in the end, for my work I did not care much for it. Invisible grain, yes. Everything else about it was disappointing to me, including its extended red sensitivity. I tried working with it when shooting 35mm because like many, I went through a phase during which I thought with document films I could get a larger-format look out of 35mm. To my eye, it never comes close. There is simply no substitute for bigger film. So for 35mm I decided I would stick with films like TMX and work hard to get the most out of them. Just my opinion though. I've since experimented in detail with CMS-20, just for the fun of it, but that's just horrible.

Michael

15. haryanto

haryanto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Whoa is this that you mean? I'm rich hurray

Attached Files:

16. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's not as crazy as the thousands of £££ or $$$ that some people pay for old (sorry, vintage) bottles of wine which they will never drink.

Steve.

17. dr5chrome

dr5chrome Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    hmmmm - I still have 2 unopened bulk rolls of original Panatomic Kodak nitrate film - made in 1937... still produces great image quality, no fog. dw

18. Helinophoto

Helinophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh.....never say never:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_Pan

Hang on to this stuff and make a bargain selling it to secure your pension :smile: