Tele-Rolleiflex: lens seperation

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by puketronic, Oct 15, 2012.

1. puketronic

puketronic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm interested in a Tele-Rolleiflex but I hear that lens separation is common, unfortunately. Are there any serial numbers/versions to avoid? Or are they all suceptible to this?

2. pgomena

pgomena Member

Good used Tele-Rolleis command a premium price. If you're going to buy one, a reputable seller should allow you to fully inspect the camera before you buy it, and you should get a 30-day optical/mechanical return guarantee.

Peter Gomena

3. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd ignore the serial number and concentrate on looking at the lens elements for separation.

4. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you want to guarantee you don't have separation issues, get one of the brand new Rollei FT models. The brand new ones have an additional benefit of minimum focus of 4 feet (1.3m), whereas the originals have a minimum focus of 8 feet (2.6m). The downside to the new ones is that they're around $5K USD. Originals can be found with patience for around $1500 USD-$2000 USD. Simple inspection will show you lenses on original cameras that do or do not have separation.

5. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have patience and get from a reputable seller. I waited and got mine for $950 but it did need a full CLA and the front standard was slightly bent and needed straightening. But even before getting that all fixed it shot awesome photos. Simply amazing glass.

Especially for cow portraits:

[​IMG]
    Tilden Farm Ben Tele-Rolleiflex KodakTMY400 D-761-1 11min30sec 20C 1minAg2x 12-2011 VSmac 9000 Scan-111225-0001 by rich8155 (Richard Sintchak), on Flickr

More here from my Tele-rollei:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Tele-Rolleiflex&w=38698047@N00&s=int