Tell me about This Leica

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Flyfishdk, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Flyfishdk

Flyfishdk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi there

I got my hands on This old Leica. I know the M Series but the screw mounts i know nothing about. So please help me to learn about this.

Thanks.

Nicolai

Attached Files:

2. ken472

ken472 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It looks like possibly a IIIa or IIIb. I'm sure someone out there can tell you by the serial number. I had a IIf for several years and now wish I hadn't sold it. I hope you can use it. I love them.

3. semeuse

semeuse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Judging by the serial number, I think it's a IIIc. Great camera.

4. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is a IIIc

5. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    If I am not wrong IIIC produced between mid 30s to late 40s. Its WWII German camera. It focuses pin sharp but loading the film for first timers is little bit difficult. When you open the bottom , there might be a diagram to show how you might cut the film before loading.
    A little tip , If you loaded it wrong , left top cylinder doesnt rotate when you rotate the right one.
    Leather is shark . Lens looks like a summitar but I could not read from the picture.
    Now You have one of the best camera you can buy with money.

Umut

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2011
  6. aoresteen

aoresteen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is a 1949/1950 IIIc. The lens is a 1949 so it's likely the orginal lens & body combo.

One piece top and no sync numbers around the top shutter dial are a quick indication of a IIIc. The lens is a good one, the Summitar, which preceeds the Summicron. Uses odd size deep recessed mounting filters.

Consider having it serviced. It's 62 years old and the shutter most likely needs attention. The lens should be clean and adjusted as well.

My IIIf just recently developed a light leak and it is in great shape having had a full service by DAG in 2001.

7. Flyfishdk

Flyfishdk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi folks

Thanks for All the Info :smile: anyone know if you Can get an online manual?

BTW i found a recip in the leather case for the camera. Someone bought it used in 1972. And it says it's a IIIc.

Attached Files:

8. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow the buyer paid only £50 even in 1972 was very cheap.

9. Flyfishdk

Flyfishdk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi there

I intent to use the set because it's a gift and I can not trade or sell a gift... But what are the value of a set like that. I have to say that the camera and lens is in very good condition. The leather case is a little beat up but can be used because it's only cosmetic. I ask because of my camera insurance need to know value on the gear.. estimated. I have looked on ebay but it's not very clear to me because the prices is very different... I have seen a set from the same year to $1400 and other places it's $2-300. can you guide me?

Thanks in advance :wink:

10. semeuse

semeuse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    McKeown's lists the IIIc (with sharkskin) at $250-375 in exceptionally clean condition. The 50mm summitar is listed at $85-90.
    Mike Butkus has a manual online(everybody should support his site, orphancameras.com); Leica IIIc manual.

I love my IIIc. I mostly use it with a 90mm Elmar, but I also have the 50mm Summitar. The loading does take some getting used to, but it is a wonderful piece of equipment.

11. aoresteen

aoresteen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check to see if there is film in it by pulling up on the rewind knob and start to rewind GENTLY. If you feel tension there is film in.

Assuming the rewind kbob spins free, open the camera base plate and check to see if the takeup spool is inside. You will need one to take pictures with it.

12. agfarapid

agfarapid Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You've got a winner there. It's probably the best value for your money for any Leica. It's very solid and requires little maintenance. I think I've had 2 CLA's on mine in the 40 or so years since I bought it in the late '60's. Just be sure to cut the film leader according to the diagram on the bottom of the camera before you try to load it. You can probably find other threads on proper film loading here and over at rangefinderforum.com

13. jochen

jochen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello,
    the leather of this post-war IIIc is not shark-skin but the normal coating. Shark-skin has another coarser appearance. I have an Ic with shark-skin which has been converted to IIIf BD with a similar serial-No. from 1949. Only very few shark-skin models seem to have been produced.

14. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi

You do need the user manual.

You need to carry a small pair of scissors to cut a longer leader tongue, with the longer leader it should load correct every time, without loads of problems.

You dont need to use any of the intraweb bodges for loading they are each likely to damage your camera.

Get a blower bulb and blow out the interior with the camera in normal landscape mode, the shutter should last several decades between any maintenance with some use, with hard use longer. The shutter can fail on a film chip...i

Dont worry about the finish Ive only ever seen one IIIC with intact chrome, the black stuff can chip possible to salvage this, instructions on web.

The early lenses need hoods Leitz ones are expensive.

Noel