Ten years on APUG!!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by David Brown, Feb 15, 2014.

1. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So, 10 years and 3,000+ posts. I’ve wasted a lot of time on APUG.

I joined APUG on February 16, 2004! (I'm posting today as I'm traveling tomorrow.) I do not remember how I found this website. I suppose that I found it while “surfing” the net. (Does anybody use that term anymore?) My own photography had been languishing for a while. I had a dedicated darkroom, and all the gear, and actually made pictures once in a while, but just nothing was really happening.

APUG was a different place back then. I came from “rec.photo.darkroom”. APUG was new, fresh, different. It was a different group of people then, but that is always the case. Look up any old thread from past years, and it will be a mostly different group of participants. The same will be true one year in either direction from that thread, too. Twenty thousand, forty thousand, sixty thousand members!!! But, at any given time, there are probably only a few hundred active posters.

I’ve seen the question asked several times: where have all the old apuggers gone. Not as many have gone as you might think. A lot of them read, but don’t post anymore. They got tired of the same old questions, opinions and arguments. This is not a flaw of APUG, it’s the normal life cycle of an internet forum. However, I owe a great deal of thanks to APUG and to Sean; and continue to subscribe and participate, even thought I’m often pretty tired of it. Because of APUG, I met:

Lee Carmichael. It was early 2005. After mostly “lurking” on the forum for a year, I posted a suggestion to have a local “meet-up”. There were 6 of us that showed up. Lee and I were the first to get there. He showed me some very impressive work that he had done, and very graciously looked at the few sad prints I had brought along. We were friends and colleagues until his death in 2012. I learned a good bit from him. Some of it was even about photography. Also along on that meet-up were Jeremy Moore, Kevin Mullet and Mike Castles. I don’t see Jeremy or Kevin much anymore, but we remain “Facebook” friends. Mike and I are still friends in person, and were out photographing (with some other folks) just a couple of weeks ago.

Then, in May of 2005, Lee produced a printing workshop with Les McLean as the clinician. There were 12 of us in attendance. I can’t remember all 12, but among them were apuggers Ann, BWgirl, Gay Larsen, scootermm, Bruce Osgood, et al. Jeremy and Mike were there, too.

Also met Valerie Yaklin-Brown, Clay Harmon, Kerik Kouklas and Bill Schwab through APUG. I became friends with Les McLean and spent Christmas with him in England in 2006! Went to Iceland with Bill Schwab and a small group just last year. From 2006 – 2009, I collaborated on a project with Lee, Jeremy, Mike and scooter (Matthew Magruder) called the Texas Church Project. We had exhibitions and were on TV! And we made a lot of work! (And I became a better photographer)

And the chatroom! It, too, is “not the same”; but years ago, I could go in almost any night and “chat” with Hans (Denmark), Luis (Spain), Nicole (Australia), or any number of other delightful people from all over the world.

Therefore, like many other old-timers – both chronologically and by tenure on APUG – I have a real love-hate relationship with the forum. We may be tired of the same old discussions, the opinions over facts, the fanatical defense of arbitrary ways of doing things, and the trolls; but we realize the value in the relationships that have been spawned and nurtured through this community. These are friendships that may not have happened without the forum.

Carry on. Turn off the computer once in a while and go actually make photographs. Many of us – and 99.999% of the world – don’t care which film/developer/camera you use. We also don’t care if you own and use a digital camera, because, you know, we do, too.

Only while here, don’t feed the trolls!

2. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    What an excellent post and enjoyable read.

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David, stick around the best is yet to come.

4. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great post, David. Though many things have (sadly) changed over the years, and many things are (sadly) the same, APUG is still my first stop for photo information and camaraderie. I hope we are having this conversation in another ten years.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great post David!

6. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great read thanks for sharing that tidbit of apug history with us.

7. papagene

papagene Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glad you joined 10 years ago (in a few months it will be my 10th anni on APUG!), glad to have met you many times in the chatroom, and hope to have the pleasure some day of meeting you in person!

Best regards,

8. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Afternoon, David,

Lots of familiar names mentioned in your post; unfortunately, some of them are no longer with us. Time do fly!

Konical

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been a member almost nine years, I wonder if you get time off for good behaviour :smile:

10. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just passed my 11 year anniversary here. Glad the newbees like Dave have stuck around.

11. Trail Images

Trail Images Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A nice reflective read about your 10 year history here at APUG, David. Glad to see you and numerous others still participating as time allows one to.

12. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, nice read. I have only 8 years but nearly 2000 comments....wow! I have gathered a lot of inspiration and knowledge from this site and the crap is easy to avoid...lets hear more from the old timers.

13. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found APUG around the same time through a mention in B&W magazine (pretty sure I lurked for awhile before joining in Jan '05). Sure, things have changed, but the volume of info has only increased. I also have met many people through APUG who I never would have met otherwise - I won't try to name them all because I know I'd leave some out. I've also been able to make pictures at locations I wouldn't have gone to otherwise - the Quabbin, Cuyahoga National Park, Photostock, and various other areas on Cape Cod (wouldn't have gone by myself) and Ohio.
    I'm positive my photography has improved in the time since I found APUG and I count the site as a big part of why. Seeing the great work of others in the gallery and reading others' techniques are very valuable.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Amen David. You said very well.

16. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great post, David. I remember most of the names you mentioned, and I'm really glad you are still around. :smile:

As you mention, many of us have formed friendships thanks to the forum, and that is also what I am most grateful for. I intend to be here in ten years from now, and I hope you write another equally wonderful post at that time.

17. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I enjoy your post, I hope your around a few more years.

Jeff

18. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Awesome post. Congrats. I had my 10 year anniversary here last year (actually I just realized I passed 11 years this last January!). Good to see some old timers still active and posting.

19. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm not quite that old. Been here a while. You know what's funny? Around 2000-2003 I went "digital" because I thought it was better. Never occurred to me that film would go away. I thought they'd always be around together, I just didn't want to shoot it any more. When I "discovered" APUG I went back and started shooting film again. The decline in film has been brutal but I'm enjoying what's left...

20. gandolfi

gandolfi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    only nine years for me... but lurking before joining.

Great read David. I envy some of you... Being from this little nothing of a country, I don't get to meet many like minded persons in real life.

But sometimes it actually feels like I have... Great place, this one...

21. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice reflection on your ten years David! I've only been here 6 and a half years and like many others, lurked here for a while before joining (it seemed like an odd sort of place, compared to other internet forums). But now I can barely remember what it was like not to be a member here. I've only met a few people from here in real life, and I doubt there will be any APUG meetups in Japan anytime soon, but like Gandolfi said, I sort of feel like I know so people here already -- it's great to have a place where you feel you belong.

22. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not quite 9 years for me, but I share the sense of community your post conveys so well. I've found some of my favorite photographers through this site (many of whom I'd never have known about without APUG, and a few of them now proudly hang on my walls). I've been entertained, educated, and inspired. I've developed friendships, have met a few, and hope to meet more down the road.

23. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Over 7 years for me and APUG has cost me a fortune by first convincing me to buy not one but two Hasselblads [503 and 903] plus lenses and then two 4"x5" cameras, set up a darkroom with an enlarger, drum print dryer and a JOBO processor, and assorted other cameras, lenses, ...

24. Photo-gear

Photo-gear Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    David, I am almost new here (2009) and I haven't posted that much as to reach your level of "comfort" with the whole business.

While you are still found of this website - like APUG - you go thru some mixed feelings. I must have felt the same in some other places: that is something everyone does experience at times. By visiting over and over one place, someone ends up believing the same "scenario" repeats itself... Kind of true.

As a member, somehow everyone finds his "role". If a beginner feels the urge to frequently post, older members only post when they feel their topic brings up something of interest.

Hang on, David, you will probably go thru some other photographic fevers... while keeping shooting around. Best of time!

25. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A pleasant read. Hard to believe I'm approaching eight years myself. I found this place trying to figure out why a new to me Bronica wasn't doing as expected and have hung on since. As with any large group there are all sorts, but definitely some inspiring folks. (Would I had 1% of illumiquest's imagination! :D )

26. Valerie

Valerie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Happy APUG Anniversary, Mr. Brown. This has indeed been a very special place, with very special people.