Tent for art shows

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by PeterDendrinos, Sep 9, 2006.

1. PeterDendrinos

PeterDendrinos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I am looking for a quality “tent” to use at art fairs around the state and beyond. I see that EZ-UP is a popular one at many of the shows I have been to. The problem seems to be that I keep hearing that they aren’t very strong, or durable. I have looked at one tent system from Italy made by Mastertent. It’s more expensive but the claims are that it’s built better.

Any thoughts on the subject?

I am planning on a 10 x 10 with 3 walls. Most likely white in color.

Thanks
    Pete

2. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a tent at Target for about $30 last year, as I've only done two such shows. I didn't want to get the "Easy-up" because I'm not that committed to doing these fairs.

So I can't really comment on how good those tents are, but, FWIW, a lot of folks had gallon water jugs filled with sand that were tied to the legs of the tents/displays to keep the wind from taking everything with it!! No matter what tent you get, that may be a good idea!

Good luck.

3. PeterDendrinos

PeterDendrinos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have heard this over and over. Weight it down. I'll do that. Thanks

4. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Shane Knight

Shane Knight Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For the first year of doing shows (with a tent) I would recommend a small investment of an EZ UP. Before investing in a nice tent, I would wait until you have a good taste of outdoor show experience and confidence in doing a lot of shows in the future.

To answer your question:
    The Flourish Company http://www.flourish.com/

These guys are good ol boys from Arkansas that have been in the business for awhile. I invested about $2500 on a Trimline Canopy and it was very worth it. They have kits that start around $800.
    When one is doing outdoor shows, you sometimes do not have the option of electricity to light your work. All Trimlines have a soft sky light to help light the interior and artwork. Since all Trimlines have domes with skylights, they have a very open feel within the interior. They are very durable and made for set up and tear down at art shows. They are expensive, but money well spent.

Shane Knight
    western horses

6. PeterDendrinos

PeterDendrinos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thank you, i'll take a look

7. Shane Knight

Shane Knight Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good advice.

A weighted down tent is a must!!

I have seen many tents pick up and disappear during unexpected high winds. I use custom wood cabinets within my display that double as the weights to hold the tent down safely. I would recommend 3" to 4" PVC piping with fittings filled with concrete. While the concrete is drying, drill a pilot hole on one end and screw in an "eye" hook. Take a little rope and hang on each corner until they are almost touching the ground. Place some nice clothe around and they seem to blend in with the display nicely.

Good Luck!

Shane Knight
    www.shaneknight.com
    western photography

8. Mike A

Mike A Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I'm doing the same kind of researchright now Pete, this sight seems to be geared to filling up tour space http://www.propanels.com/

Mike

9. PeterDendrinos

PeterDendrinos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    thanks for the info mike

Pete

10. kjsphoto

kjsphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
  11. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Haven't seen your name around here much lately, Peter. How's things in TC?
    The companies that rent tents to film productions anywhere i've worked use only EzUP's. They're the best. They've got different models which are heavier than others and you can get sidewalls to attach as well. Sandbags or stakes are a must. I've seen the desert claim a few in 50 mile/hour winds.
    vinny

12. Mike A

Mike A Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
  13. PeterDendrinos

PeterDendrinos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Things are very good, thanks. I have not been lurking around much. Been busy shootin, printin and sellin. No complaints so far.

Pete

14. John Jarosz

John Jarosz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There are a couple of different EZ Ups. They have a cheaper version and a more expensive version that accepts sidewalls and you can completely close it up so when you leave your stuff is (relatively) secure (and protected from sideways rain).

No matter what you buy make a positive decision on the color of the roof. Some artfairs require white roofs; white is cooler and doesn't shift the color of your work.

In spite of what it looks like, it is possible to erect an EZ Up by yourself (but it's not the easiest thing in the world). I don't know if that's true of some of the others.

Weighing it down is important. I've seen water jugs, sandbags, and concrete filled plastic pipe.

John

15. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I saw an Ez-Up at an art show today that was already broken, and I believe on its first day. Another friend who is probably more careful in setting hers up has no problems. They don't tolerate abuse. When exhibiting with open frames on grass, I use a trailor anchor screwed into the ground. It hasn't failed in 22 years.

16. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Peter,

I have been participating in Art Shows for the past 10 years. I would really recommend staying away from the EZup canopies. I personally use a Show Off (one of the best) by New Venture Products (listed by Mike above as newvp.com). Other really good canopies that Mike lists include the Flourish Products and the Lightdome. But, they will cost you much more than the EZup. The EZups have a bad name when it comes to bad weather unless you get their expensive canopies. They may be EZ to set up but they have problems in winds and in moderate to heavy rains. Every so often at a show we will see an EZup in particular that has the roof completely crushed by the weight of the water from rain and has damaged the canopy contents or an EZup that is sitting on top of a neighbor canopy because the EZup was not anchored adequately.

Rich

17. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about one of these? :wink:

18. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Andy,

A bit small to display much Artwork. :smile: :wink:

Rich

19. PeterDendrinos

PeterDendrinos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Artfairs requiring white roofs is a good point, and one i figured was so. However i hadn't thought about the color messing with the color of light. I think that is a very good point. thanks for the tip.

Pete

20. PeterDendrinos

PeterDendrinos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    thank you for the advice Rich. i'll look at your recommendations. I'm afraid i have come to accept that you get what you pay for, and that good equipment cost good money.

Pete

21. PeterDendrinos

PeterDendrinos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Andy, it does look a bit small. Looks like it might make a nice outhouse though. :D

22. ROL

ROL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check out Shelter Systems - many types - many uses at Burning Man where winds typically reach 40 to 70 mph.

23. kswatapug

kswatapug Advertiser

I was just wandering at Art in the Park here in Boise and looking at people's rigs on Friday. I have to say, comparing them, that the Lightdome looked to be the most durable. Vern Clevenger uses one of those, along with a lot extra support structures. Perhaps I'll swing by again to day and snap some pix of the set up.

Lots of different strategies for anchoring them. Vern swears by two-foot re-bar pounded into the ground. I have other friends that use sand-filled PVC pipe Velcro'd to the legs.

24. PeterDendrinos

PeterDendrinos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That would be very cool to see

Pete