Test Strip Printer

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by RalphLambrecht, Apr 25, 2010.

1. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just for your information:

I received a few emails from people who were looking for the test strip printer design, which was previously posted on my site. This file is now available as a free download and sample chapter to Way Beyond Monochrome Ed2, and you'll find it here:

http://www.waybeyondmonochrome.com/WBM2/TOC.html

2. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nicely done, like the layout.
    Thank you.

3. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Folks as I said before this is the best test strip printer I have. Enjoy the article on Ralph's site then make the thing. You will not regret it.

Thanks Ralph

pentaxuser

4. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Someone who is handy with tools ought to make some of these and sell them on APUG.

5. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, trademarked, copyrighted and patent pending, personal use only! :smile:

6. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hand tools? I used off cuts of matt board and double sided tape to make mine based on Ralph's design. I taped it to a scrap of plywood to keep it from being inadvertently moved too easily.

7. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well done!

8. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's a wonderful design, Ralph! I first saw the plan in the first edition of Way Beyond Monochrome, but since I didn't have any 1/4-inch plastic at the time I made my copy from cabinet plywood. Yes, it is a little heavy, but it works perfectly. Thanks!

9. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of the different implementations. The heaviest I've seen was made of stainless steel.

10. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hand tools? I have a CNC drill/router at work which I may put up to the task!

Steve.

11. youngrichard

youngrichard Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Readers' Efforts request

Here is mine (Pic: TestStripOverview2). Made of 3 mm and 6 mm Medium Density Fibreboard. I raised the hinges with a shim of RC paper, to raise the flap the thickness of my usual paper (Pic: TSHinge)). I put in the recommended notches to facilitate shifting the paper the correct distance after each exposure, but found them unnecessary as I shift the paper with the safelight on; ruled black lines make this easy under vision (Pic: TSStrips)). The first shift is difficult with the paper abutting the edge of the frame, so I gouged a groove for the fingernail (Pic: TSNailCatch). I left an overhang at the left hand end of the flap (Pic: TSFlange); lifting the flap by hooking the left index finger under it is easier, I think, than grasping a knob on top. Finally, all my home made easels are 20 mm thick (for autofocus). A square of 6mm MDF and a Maplins stick-on 9 mm thick rubber foot (Pic: TSFoot) gives a height of 21 mm, not quite 20 mm but near enough not to affect focus for test strip purposes.
    Richard

Attached Files:

12. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    well done youngrichard! I like the paper shimming.

13. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm

Steve knowing your skills in this area you'll find it kid's play and well worth the effort. I got mine done by someone with a laser cutter that cut plastic. Using pieces of both black and white plastic I find the paper slides easily and the guides for exposing each section a inch at a time show up very well.

pentaxuser

14. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well. I have a laser cutter too!

Steve.

15. Shadowtracker

Shadowtracker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the plans. I have a few more weeks of night school left but after that, I intend to make one of these. There is a board we have that is dark on one side, light on the other so I can use the same material and simply flip it over to use the lighter/darker side where I want it. I have always wondered if doing test strips "across the board" of the whole image was giving me good cues about the printing I want to get. The way you explained this and its use makes much more sense to me and allows me to pick where I want to get a test strip and therefor get an accurate starting point to my printing. Having a home darkroom, albeit small, works well but works better with efficient tools. This is one such tool that I intend to get some good use out of. Once again, thank you.

16. hec

hec Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you very much for sharing the design Ralph. I'll make mine with foamboard & tape, I'm not good with handtools.

17. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I made something similar some time ago from foam-board and hot-glue.

I found the corks from sherry bottles (they have a 'bulb' on them) make good handles - just hot glue the cork end to anything that needs a knob.

Durst made a version that had a sliding cover over the exposure slot: the cover had a pin you pressed into the paper and this advanced the paper under the slot each time the cover was moved.