Testing expired XTol ?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Laurent, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello all,

I recently bought some developer for cheap, XTol and Rodinal.

My trouble is that the XTol is long expired (5 years or so) and I'm not sure I should trust it. So my questions are :

- how do I test it (a clip test showed some activity, but I'm not sure it's as active as fresh XTol) ? Do I run a film through any camera and process it ? Will these results be meaningful for the shelf life of my 5 liters ?

- Supposing it's fine today, will a clip test be meaningful in a few months to decide it didn't go bad ?

I'd rather throw it than risk ruin some films, but on the other hand, if it works I'd be happy to use it...

To put things at worst, the price I paid for the lot (XTol + Rodinal) is about 1/2 price of fresh Rodinal, so if I only use the Rodinal it'll still be a bargain.

2. Helinophoto

Helinophoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is a typical situation where bulk-loading is handy, because you could just bulk-load 6-10 frames, fire them off and test those and see.
    I stopped trusting my xtol once it got a light brown color, straw-yellow should be ok, brown = bad afaik.

I am not aware of any chemical indicator of sorts that you could use to test xtol, maybe some here do...?

3. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I take it that the Xtol is still in its two pack powder form. If so and the packs remain sealed then I see no reason why its shouldn't be fine.

I am using a 5L pack of Perceptol that was made before the Ilford collapse in 2005 and its fine. Powder dev if it is still sealed should last for a very long time

Try a film leader and develop in daylight for the time suggested for the film. It should go almost black such that holding it up to a strong light bulb will just about reveal light.

If on the other hand you bought liquid Xtol then I'd be amazed if it is still useable

pentaxuser

4. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ascorbate developers can go bad and not show any discoloration. The only way to tell if it is good is to develop some test negatives..

5. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Mine went bad and got a "yellowish" color. It was one year XTOL. I got fine results and clear developer until 6 to 8 months. One can test with a film header, if it won't turn completly black, the develper is not doing his work.

6. OP
    Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your toughts. I finally ran a test with 3 frames, which confirmed the XTol was OK, and so I developed successfully the "real" films. I think I should make a clip test systematic before developing, so that I do not get concerned about my developer.