Testing used large format lenses

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by euswdwj, Apr 27, 2012.

1. euswdwj

euswdwj Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Having purchased a used lens over the internet it would be useful to test the lens for resolution and f-stop at different apertures and the shutter at different shutter speed settings.

Is there a step-by-step procedure or maybe a description of the best way to perform such tests? My thought at this point is to use a digital 35mm camera mounted in place of the film holder on a view camera to perform the tests. Would this yield decent results for all tests?

2. Larry H-L

Larry H-L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A digi cam could verify shutter speeds, but wouldn't do much for checking overall image quality.

Paper negatives could be done quickly and easily.

3. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The only "kitchen table" test that makes sense, and I have just referred to this on my Rollei 35 thread, is to see if it does what you want in practice at your largest planned print size - That is all we really need to know

PS - Use film, paper negs are a waste of time and materials, use film in the camera and paper under the enlarger

John

5. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Photograph something at the distance you plan to use the lens most and evaluate what you get. I find evenly lit brick walls to do the trick... you can see distortion/fall off/ sharpness/field flatness this way.
    Otherwise until a lens stops doing or doesn't perform what I ask of it, I don't mess with testing much.