Tetenal C-41 Press Kit

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by tonyjuliano, Jan 19, 2011.

1. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I recently tried the C-41 "Press" kit from Tetenal. I needed an alternative from Flexicolor, as Kodak is no longer selling the kit for home use.

Read my full review here.

2. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been using a Press Kit lately and also enjoy it though like you I have fun imagining a press photographer mixing up and using this stuff in a hotel bathroom somewhere. Must have been fun times! Fun reading stories about photographers going to great lengths to get important rolls out of the country too, going to extremes at times to make sure they got their photos out. Nowadays you'd just send your digital images via mobile or satellite phone of course, no need to smuggle them out.

3. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't cause fibrillation like that! ;D
    You can still get the Flexi developer in 5 gallon size which in my standard and quite a good deal at around 30usd plus shipping from Adorama.
    I realize it's only a matter of time for the 5 gallon size also.

4. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  5. Mark Antony

Mark Antony Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  7. mat4226

mat4226 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very nice write-ups, both of you. ^__^

I've just recently purchased a 1L kit of Tetanal Press C-41 and intend on using it to process 8x10 sheet film. So far, all my tests with home-processing C-41 have been a success; even though the chems were super old.

8. Mark Antony

Mark Antony Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks Mark...

We have one (1!) supplier in all of the USA that sells the Rollei Digibase kits. And they are out of stock until March!

That's the kit I really want to try next.

10. Mark Antony

Mark Antony Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One supplier for the whole of the states? wow! I think a business opportunity is here!
    Call:
    FUJIFILM Hunt Chemicals U.S.A., Inc.
    40 Boroline Road, Allendale, NJ 07401
    Tele: (800) 526-0851

Give them a call with an order for the X-Press C41 5L Catalogue number 914 085 , start selling!!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2011
  11. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The contact info you provided does not sell to the public, nor to wholesellers for that matter.

Fuji sends them the "recipes" and they mix it up and send it back to Fuji.

12. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Formulary is selling 1L liquid kits that use Kodak chemistry repackaged from larger kits. They work just fine and keep well as they are packed under nitrogen.

PE

13. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yes, I see...

Back to Flexicolor I go...

Thanks

14. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Can anyone confirm if Freestyle's Arista C-41 is the same as the Tetenal? They seem very alike to me.

15. Mark Antony

Mark Antony Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "The contact info you provided does not sell to the public, nor to wholesellers for that matter"

They should do! I know they sell to Labs, I also know in my country Fuji Hunt sells to wholesalers, that's how we get the products. No wonder analogue is going down the pan if big companies like Fuji won't sell their product.
    Thank heaven I live in Europe!

16. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It truly is incredulous here the stuff they won't sell. Unless you know someone, know what warehouses to call with your credit card you seemingly can't get cut Fuji paper here and chemicals are almost impossible to get either. They don't want home users it seems, just rolls and big lots of chemicals for the labs. Around here most labs sell digital cameras and prints too and don't care that their chemicals are exhausted and their machines are dirty. "Don't like your film? Well, film is so last century... would you like to look at a Canon Xs or a Nikon D7000 today? Step right over here sir..." They don't care about how you get your pictures and they get money from you whether it is digital or film. Digital prints are so expensive they probably get higher margin on them anyways.

Tetenal is selling out at places. I hope that isn't a bad sign! I hope it is a good sign of high home C41 demand which means they'll increase production but I'm not holding my breath.

17. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    None of this is making sense to me either. Just to support what Mark Antony has said, a number of suppliers in the U.K. sell the Fuji-Hunt kits for small volume processing so I wonder what is the issue in the U.S.?

There has to be a reasonable explanation for this. As Mark has said there has to be a much bigger market in the U.S. and a big business opportunity being missed.

Just curious as to what the issue might be.

pentaxuser

18. Jeff L

Jeff L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the write up. Looks like I'm going to order a Tetenal Press Kit from B&H. Shipping seems reasonable to Canada. Fewer and fewer places to have C-41 processed here- even Silvano's closed.