Tetenal C41 advice

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Anthony Lewis, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Anthony Lewis

Anthony Lewis Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I am new to colour processing - and processing in general. All goes well except I end up with splotches all over the dried film. What I do is take the negatives straight out of the Jobo tank after the Stabiliser stage, and let them hang to dry.
    I just let them dry at room temperature.

They then dry with splotchy drying marks all over them. I was under the understanding that I should not rinse, or squeege colour film.
    What should I do, between taking them from the tank and hanging for drying?

2. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The last rinse, which is the stabiliser, should pretty much evenly coat the film so that it dries properly. It should look like dishwashing liquid, a little bit bubbly. Some use a squeegee, but most don't. You can use your fingers to wipe the film, a finger on each side with the film in the middle, far better than a squeegee.

3. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I get the same thing and I believe it's due to the stabilizer not dissolving properly. I poured my prepared stabilizer through a coffee filter and ended up with a lot of white precipitate, probably as much as there was in the packet to begin with. Perhaps it needs to be heated when mixed? Stored above a certain temp? Warmed before use? I end up wiping the film down with Edwal negative cleaner after it dries.