Tetenal Colortec C-41 Development Time And Agitation

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by jfdupuis, Mar 2, 2009.

1. jfdupuis

jfdupuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all,

I'm going to give C-41 a try and I was thus reviewing the instructions of the Tetenal Colortec C-41 Rapid Negative Kit. In the manual, the development time for rotary processing is given. However, as I don't have any processor, I'll do the development in a small Paterson tank. Therefor, I'm wondering if there is any influence on the development time and what would be an appropriate agitation. For black and white, I'm doing 4 inversion each 30 seconds. Should I keep it this way with listed time ?

Jeff

2. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I can't speak to Tetenal's C-41 specifically, but with the C-41 developers I've used (Paterson and a couple of home-brew recipes), I've used the same agitation regime as I use with B&W -- 30 seconds of continuous agitation followed by 5 seconds (about 5 inversions) every 30 seconds thereafter. The total developing time is 3:15. This works acceptably for me; however, I've done no scientific tests of density, color curves, etc. I do recall that when I first started with C-41 development, the procedure I found (perhaps online or with the Paterson chemicals) specified a slightly different agitation procedure than I'd been using with B&W. It wasn't very different, though, and I decided to stick with my usual B&W procedure so as not to overstuff my brain with too many different procedures. Unfortunately, I don't recall the precise procedure I found.

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tetenal does not give advice on manual agitation in their manual, though they hint at manual small tank processing.

Kodak says: first 30 sec continuous agitation (1complete reversing cycle/sec); then dumping into the bath for each 13 sec followed by 2 reversing cycles.

Agfa said: first 30 sec continuous agitatation; then 1 movement (complete cycle I guess...) / 30 sec

So, we have 4 cycles within 30 seconds against 1 cycle within 30 seconds...

4. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    C41 developers should all use 3 minutes 15 seconds with a fresh/working solution. On the second and third rolls for each unit of solution you should increase time by 15 seconds each for 3:30 second roll and 3:45 third roll and then discard.

I use 30 seconds continuous and 4 lifts every 30 seconds thereafter, so yours works fine. I pour in the chemistry slightly warm to compensate for the loss over the initial 30 second agitation. I also use a pre soak to get the temp up. Temp doesn't appear to be as critical as said. I keep the water bath at 101-102 because according to my **highly** scientific tests this works about right with my agitation.

5. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  6. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tetenal don't give times for C41 but for E6 they recommend 15s agitation followed by further agitation every 15s. I used those recommendations for their C41 kit and my results were fine, so I suggest you do the same.

7. jfdupuis

jfdupuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As development time is about half the one of B&W, it make sense to me that agitation should be more frequent. I think that I'll try 2 inversions each 15 seconds.

8. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    With C-41 having such a short development time, in addition to the every 15 second agitation cycle, you should be rather vigorous in your agitation. I agitate for the first 30 seconds continuously, then every 15 seconds.

9. ahock

ahock Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why we need to agitate vigorously at the beginning and becoming slow after that?

10. rossawilson1

rossawilson1 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Jeff, I use this exact kit a few times a month and I do mine the same as black and white and get perfect results.

Every 1 minute I do 3 inversions for about 10-15 seconds in total.

I would advise against using the twiddle stick apart from the very first agitation after pouring in chemicals.. I had developing problems at the sprocket holes when I only used the twiddle stick instead of inversions.

Best of luck!

11. mkillmer

mkillmer Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    With my tetenal development, I have found it to be very counter productive to increase the standing time at this rate. I am at roll 28 and I am only at 3:30 dev time.
    I agree that temp too high doesnt seem to hurt - I ususally run at 39-40C for the dev.

12. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Roll 28, wow! I bump the dev time up just a bit later on, works for me but not much or highlights block up. 39-40C here too.