Tetenal Neofin Blue

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by sirmy, Jan 15, 2004.

1. sirmy

sirmy Member

I received an order from a weel known UK mail order firm the other day. Part of the order was for Neofin Blue but a note on the invoice said it had been discontinued. Tetenal's web site makes no mention that I noticed that the developer was no longer available. Does anyone know if the developer has been discontinued or was this just a badly worded note from the mail order house?

2. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do know that Tetenal have discontinued a number of their products. I'll speak to a couple of people in the trade to see what I can find out and report back. As a matter of interest I see you live in Sunderland, that's only about 80 miles away from me in ther borders so why don't we get together sometime.

3. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Silverprint are still listing Neofin Blue, dosn't mean they have any left of course, may be worth asking them. It will be a shame if it has been discontinued, it's a good brew.

4. Jorge Oliveira

Jorge Oliveira Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    AFAIK there were two Neofins - the blue and the red.
    One of them, for sure, was discontinued. never heard about both.

Do a google for Tetenal and take a look at their site.

Jorge O

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    J&C in the banner above is also listing it.

You can also mix it yourself with this formula for the original Beutler's developer:

http://jackspcs.com/fdnb.htm

The link also contains another link to Photographer's Formulary, which sells a kit.

6. Lex Jenkins

Lex Jenkins Member

That's a shame. I just tried Neofin Blue last year for the first time. Produced excellent results on Efke R100. High acutance with finer grain than Rodinal. Overall tonality with this film/developer combo is reminiscent of APX 100 in Rodinal.

Glad I still have a few vials left to enjoy before kissing Neofin "Blau" goodbye.

As David said, plenty of recipes for Beutler and acutance developers around.

7. Jorge Oliveira

Jorge Oliveira Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If someone want the 'Real McCoy' Edward Zimmermann posted it, directly from Beutler's book at photo.net.

Do a search for Beutler developer formulae

Jorge O

Note: I've taken a look at Tetenal's site (btw, they may be good on devs, but lousy in site design) and it's still listed.

8. garryl

garryl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I E-mailed Tetenak UK and asked about this thread. I received the answer today as follows-- :lol:

9. sirmy

sirmy Member

Thank heavens for that, I've just started using it and I really like the results.

How many from the north of England/Southern Scotland use this forum, perhaps we could meet up somewhere sometime.

10. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Retro Photographic also sell Neofin Blue in the UK-they advertise in B&W Photography among other places.

11. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format