Tetenal vs Digibase

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by olleorama, Jul 27, 2011.

1. olleorama

olleorama Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have just taken the plunge and bought 5 liters of digibase C41 chemistry. Have used tetenals products up to now. As their product has separate bleach and fix, can I expect a change in quality? If so, in what qualities?

2. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Separate bleach and fix steps are recommended for film to insure proper bleaching of the developed silver, so your results should be equal to or better than the single step solutions.

3. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    There seems to be two schools of thought on this:

First School says that separate bleach fix is likely to give better negs and longer life to the negs with much less scope for problems to arise.

Second School says that blixed negs will be as good. I am not sure what the second school says about the relative merits of each longevity-wise.

pentaxuser

4. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've never used the Digibase, but the quality is definitely better (at least more consistent) with the Kodak C41 developer, the CPAC from Pakor bleach, and Kodak Fix over the Tetenal Blix. I think my earlier negatives were sometimes a bit muddier when using a Blix, but it could also be my imagination. But since I switch i haven't really experienced the issue again, so I'm staying away from Blix as long as I can.

5. Ottrdaemmerung

Ottrdaemmerung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently switched from Unicolor (which I've heard is identical to Tetenal) blix kits to the Rollei Digibase kit. I'm liking it so much better because I can mix up only as much volume as I need (I don't mean one-shot). If not used to exhaustion, the Unicolor developer would die on me after six weeks, and the same is true of the Digibase developer.

Also, blix is nasty, gassy, odorous stuff. The separate bleach and fix aren't nearly as bad!

6. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been doing exactly that with Tetenal kits for years without problem. While their instructions don't mention or recommend against partial mixing, many here do it regularly.

7. Julian Russell

Julian Russell Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I made the same switch a few months back and find the Digibase much, much better. Better contrast and more accurate developing...at least for me.