Tetenal Work Paper

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by modafoto, Sep 10, 2005.

  1. modafoto

    modafoto Subscriber

    Messages:
    2,102
    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2003
    Location:
    Ã…rhus, Denma
    Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi

    My local photo store has lots of Tetenal Work paper in stock and I may get a good deal on it. But I am not that keen on it because it is graded. Although I could go with a bunch of grade 2 and 3 I would miss the ability to split grade.
    And how should I use it with an Ilford Multigrade head?

    Any thoughts on this paper?

    Morten
     
  2. Donald Qualls

    Donald Qualls Member

    Messages:
    1,845
    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2005
    Location:
    North Caroli
    Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With a multigrade head, unless your exposures are too short for comort, you can simply leave all filters at zero, i.e. use unfiltered white light. Filtration has the effect on graded papers only of attenuating the light; a strong yellow contrast or cc filter might even act as a safelight, or at the very least will greatly reduce the paper's apparent speed.

    Grades 2 and 3 will probably cover 80% of your negatives if you meter everything and are consistent in developing. The other 20%, you can split filter on multigrade.
     
  3. blackmelas

    blackmelas Subscriber

    Messages:
    350
    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2004
    Location:
    Corinth, Gre
    Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Morten,
    Did you try the Work paper? I ran into it for the first time in Athens, yesterday. I impulsively bought some of the Tetenal Work liquid emulsion without reading the directions. I should have gotten some of the paper but I was weighed down with too much paper and supplies already.
    If you or anyone tried it what are your impressions?
    THanks and best regards,
    James

     
  4. Gerald Koch

    Gerald Koch Member

    Messages:
    1,670
    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2004
    Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can get some change in contrast in graded papers by making adjustments to the developer. Increasing the pH or bromide content will increase contrast. Using a smaller dilution, FS or 1+1, rather than 1+2 will also increase contrast. Increasing dilution will reduce contrast. Using a Metol only developer such as Selectol or Selectol Soft will further decrease contrast.
     
  5. seadrive

    seadrive Member

    Messages:
    348
    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2005
    Location:
    East Marion,
    Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The cheapest paper is the one you know best, like best, work with best. Why are you going to change your whole printing routine, just to save a few bucks on paper? :confused:

    Don't let apparent bargains derail you from your path. :smile: