TF-3 working solution life

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Silverpixels5, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Silverpixels5

Silverpixels5 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does anyone have an idea of the life of the working solution? I currently use TF-4, but I'm down to my last bit of it, and didn't know if I should just buy some more or just make some TF-3. One of the main things I like about TF-4 is that the working solution lasts for quite some time, so I never have to problem of using it to capacity. I've read TF-3 is good for about 20 rolls of film, but how long will it last if you don't reach #20 very soon? Thanks for any insight you all can provide!

2. Robert

Robert Member

Nobody else answered. I assume it's not really any different then the TF-2 I use. That stuff lasts longer then I'm willing to use it. What may help is I do a water wash after the stop.

3. Silverpixels5

Silverpixels5 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the reply. Do you find that the longer fix times with sodium thiosulfate hinder you? I usually spend about 3 hrs when I do prints, and thats with the 1 minute fix times of TF-4. I may give TF-2 a try though if I can find a pool store around me that sells the sodium thiosulfate for cheap. Thanks again!

4. Robert

Robert Member

No. With RC paper I think it's only about 1minute to fix. I give 1 minute in each bath for the keepers but I'm actually afraid I'm fixing too long. I really should test the fixing times and will when I make a fresh batch of fix up.

5. Silverpixels5

Silverpixels5 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you ever make fiber based prints? I've read that TF-2 requires the print to be fixed for 10 minutes. Thats a bit long for one print. So I guess its a give and take...either cheap fixer(sodium) for a longer time or more expensive fixer(ammonium) for a shorter time.

6. Robert

Robert Member

Not normally. Usually by the time I'm ready for making a fibre print I've made it a few times with RC. The 10 minute times I think are just the high end of the range. That assumes old fixer. You're likely better using fresher fixer in a two bath setup. That way the times won't be so long and hopefully it'll be easier to wash. Also I think those 10 minute times are used at paper dilution. I don't dilute TF-2 for either paper or film.