Thank you Ilford for your consistency!

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Thomas Bertilsson, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just wanted to write a few lines to thank Ilford for the consistency and quality of their product. I am an amateur who tries very hard to create something that's of value to me, of the highest quality, and worthwhile. I want my prints to communicate strongly, to be something with deep impact, both visually and emotionally. This is my goal, and Ilford helps me get there.

On my darkroom shelf rests a couple of thousand sheets of paper. Many of them are expired and used for lith printing. But I'm running out of my staple, 11x14" and 16x20" Ilford MGIV matte fiber paper, and don't have any income to spare to buy more at the moment (buying a car is expensive). So to make the most of the stock that I have, I decided to use some 8x10 paper, of which I have plenty, to make the test prints that I make before I get down to business with the final print. It's a different size, and a different batch, yet between the 8x10 sheets and the 11x14/16x20 ones I can't tell any difference in speed or contrast. They are identical for all practical purposes.

I was expecting a little bit of difference between work print main exposure and contrast (on 8x10), and that of the final print (on 11x14 or 16x20), but NONE. Exactly the same. That sort of consistency, box to box, batch to batch, helps me keep cost down in the darkroom, and that is of vital importance to me. So thank you Ilford for making such good product. You're an amazing resource to the traditional black and white photographic community. Keep up the fantastic work!

2. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  3. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    + infinity.

4. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Nice post Thomas! The truth!

5. ParkerSmithPhoto

ParkerSmithPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Since the whole Kodak meltdown, I have switched to FP4 and HP5, most likely forever, or until the end of time, whichever comes first.

6. BradleyK

BradleyK Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1 (and then some). Excepting Tri-X, which to my eye is irreplaceable, all my black and white work has been done on Ilford products for some time now. No doubt HP5 Plus will eventually be added to my arsenal, but until Kodak's final implosion...

7. Kycoo

Kycoo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I print in a public darkroom so have no control of what they use for paper development/stop/fixing.

Having said that, the only non-iford product I purchase myself is the fixer for film processing -- I need one that does not stink up the bathroom where I process film:smile: Other than that, I use Delta 400/DD-X/Ilford FB and RC paper/Ilford cotrast filters. I much appreciate Ilford's quality control and commitment to BW photography.

8. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Thomas,

Thank you for taking the time to write what you did, and everyone else for their comments.

I shall make sure that I post this in our notice boards so all of our staff can read it, it's they who make it...

Thanks to all who value and buy our products, we appreciate and value your business.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

9. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thomas do you use direct lith with Ilford Multigrade or Lith redevlopment. As much as I like this paper I was never able to get it to lith.

Thanks
    Dominik

10. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Simon,

Please do. It would be wonderful to know that somehow we were able to contribute to a feeling of pride and/or happiness about working at Ilford, letting the employees know how much us users love the products and the hard work and expertise put into them.
    Your efforts are well appreciated too, Simon, being the face of a manufacturer among the 'rogue posse' that we are here at APUG (speaking only for myself, of course... :wink:). As you often see, it is mentioned time and again how people plead to using Ilford products because of the company having a presence here, putting a face to the Ilford name, showing concern when something goes wrong and trying to fix things that some are unhappy with. That personal touch is worth a lot to me as well, and while it isn't the main reason for me using Ilford products, the effort is very well regarded.

- Thomas

11. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

12. seadrive

seadrive Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm all Ilford now: Delta 400, MG IV and MG Warmtone.

I'm just getting started printing again, so it's good to hear that different batches of paper don't have different speeds. :smile:

13. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hear hear - all Ilford paper and chems for me since forever - but I can't leave Rodinal/Adonal, and I still use Tri-X & Neopan/Acros, and even the odd 'Rollei' film... I guess I support you ALL!!!

Marc!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. batwister

batwister Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    After some deliberation recently I think this thread has just about convinced me to commit to black and white (perhaps for good this time), which has always been Ilford for me. I've had a hiatus with colour, but shot Delta before and on the odd occasion during this period. It's always given me great peace of mind knowing how committed Ilford is to traditional materials. A great reason to be patriotic.

Thanks Thomas for the inspiration and to Ilford for keeping us going.

16. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Remember, even for Ilford, it's an extremely complex product for a very niche market. OK to wave the flag, but don't forget to wave the money. :smile:

s-a

17. hdeyong

hdeyong Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Absolutely right. You have to support those who give us excellent, consistent products, and even bring out new ones.
    When my small stock of Tri-X is gone, (the only thing I use anymore that isn't Ilford), it's HP5 for me.

18. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Whoa, let's not be too hasty here... :laugh:

s-9.75 min.-a

19. hdeyong

hdeyong Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've been 'mixing in' some HP5 over the last year, and to be honest, I like it just as much. I shot Tri-X for a long time, and am used to it, and HP5 definitely has a different look. But, it takes time to really get used to a film, and (a), liking HP5 a lot, and (b), not knowing if Tri-X will be around much longer, it's time to take the plunge.
    I'm not a Kodak basher, I just don't know if they're going to end up still making film.
    And, I want to support Ilford, because they support us.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2012
  20. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another area of consistency by Harman/Ilford that deserves recognition and praise is more subtle. It's not often mentioned because it used to be more or less the norm for all.

Consistency in product lines.

These guys just don't discontinue anything. Well, maybe a slow moving developer here or there. But absolutely none of the wholesale axing of entire product lines we often cringe over. And when they do pull something, more often than not it's balanced by the addition of something else, such as postcard paper, selenium toner, etc. Even cool new LF pinhole cameras, of all things! In other words, just normal—or what used to be normal—product line tweaking.

I'd guess this policy has as much to do with people switching to and sticking with Ilford as their product manufacturing consistency. Peace of mind is worth a LOT these days. It's primarily because of Ilford that I continue to build out my camera and darkroom equipment setups. I wouldn't be spending all this money if I didn't believe Ilford was going to continue to do everything possible to stay in the game.

So heartfelt thanks to everyone at Ilford who make it all possible. You guys are da' bomb!*

Ken

* An age inappropriate use of Internet slang teminology by Ken, who should know better. But hey—if it ain't dementia then it must be true happiness...

:w00t:

21. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Having visited Ilford's factory, I can confirm that such a noticeboard does exist. Simon also puts up prints he has received such as from the Postcard exchanges.

Steve.

22. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

It will go on the notice boards, as do your prints from the postcard exchange.....the people who work here are passionate about the products, many actually use them and all care about the history and values of the company. Our company motto is 'To be the best in black and white' that has never changed ( and never will ).

The product range : Very simple, its our strategy : We have altered, improved and updated all our manufacturing processes since taking over the business to ensure we keep every product : We make everything that we made the day we took over the business seven years ago. Some individual SKU's ( sizes or box quantities ) may have gone but apart from cooltone dev nothing has been deleted from the ILFORD Photo range, some products were deleted from the KENTMERE range, mostly because of base issues and manufacturing issues, and of course some added such as KENTMERE Film.

If you care to count we currently have 2,554 live manufactured items.

Simon ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

23. nicholai

nicholai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ilford is doubleplusgood.

24. ooze

ooze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wish it were also halfascheap :whistling:

25. hdeyong

hdeyong Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Agree completely, Ken.
    I get the feeling that Ilford and it's employees are in it for that little bit more than just making a living.

26. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I switched to Ilford paper back in the 90s (before the receivership) because I had some inconsistent sheets in a box from someone else. I've never seriously considered any other paper since then. The paper is always consistent, like Thomas said. Better than that, it's got a great look to it. Go Ilford!