Thanks!!! AND Joshua Tree FREE Large Format Workshop January 27-28-29

Discussion in 'Workshops & Lectures' started by per volquartz, Jan 7, 2006.

1. per volquartz

per volquartz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks to everyone who participated in the Zion Large Format Workshop!
    Hope that you all had a great time (I did!!!)
    Grafton is one of my favorite places!!!

A Special Thanks to Shawn Kielty for his presentation on composition. And a Special Thanks to Claire Curran - a master color photographer - for sharing her knowledge and wisdom about color (winter) photography. AND for taking some of the participants way into her secret back country spots - (65 miles of deep sand 4wdr road)...!!!

The very popular Joshua Tree FREE Large Format Workshop January 27-28-29 is just around the corner. Email me to sign up right away!!!

volquartz@volquartz.com

2. Mark Carstens

Mark Carstens Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    For those who couldn’t get there, you missed a good one. This year’s Zion workshop was a great trip! Thanks, Per!

As one who has participated in four of Per’s excursion’s, I can say without hesitation that it’s unlike most workshops that you’ll attend, in that, you have a great opportunity to learn from and be inspired by accomplished photographers like Per and Claire Curran, but have the freedom to shoot and explore. Most other workshops I’ve attended are far more structured and leave little prime time for shooting.

More thanks to Per, as well as Claire and Shawn, for sharing their considerable knowledge and experience with us. Thank you to the rest of the gang for making the week a great shoot and fun trip. I’m anxious to see the results of your work. Joshua Tree would be a great place to do that, but it doesn’t look like it’s in the cards for me this time around.

Thanks again, Per!

Mark

3. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Mark,

Glad to hear the workshop went well. I've only been on the Oregon one last time and really enjoyed myself. I wish I could make the Joshua Tree one, JT is one of my favorite places, but it isn't that easy to come over at the moment for me.

4. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    We missed you in Loen, Per - hope to see you in Stockholm this summer!

5. Thomassauerwein

Thomassauerwein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Have a great time in Joshua Tree. You simply can't miss! Even in noon day light. One of the most magical places on earth. I live about 2 hours away and go several times a year. Love it there. Wish I had time to join in but "OH Well".

6. per volquartz

per volquartz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    An image from Zion...

The Zion workshop is history. It is my hope that we all will get great images in Joshua Tree later this month!
    If you want to participate but have not signed up yet please email me ASAP!

volquartz@volquartz.com

Per

Attached Files:

7. User Removed

User Removed Guest

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Zion workshop was great! I am in the process of developing all my negatives from there, and so far...seems like some great new images!

Anyone that partisapated in the Zion workshop interested in doing a print exchange of one image you made during the workshop? Per?

Huge THANK YOU to Per for putting on these free workshops. I may have never made it up too see Zion if it was not for this workshop, not to mention the several nice photographers I met in the process.

Ryan McIntosh
    www.RyanMcIntosh.net

8. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks Per, and so nice to meet you all, what a great gathering, I needed that...Claire Curran's photographs were stunning to say the least and is one of the most informed photographers of the southwest I have ever met! Inspiring to meet a photographer whose total bread and butter is with a 4 x 5 film camera!
    I stayed over as I am a bit slow with the camera.....just got back, now to get into the unfinished darkroom...

Per thank you so much for your work and great attitude....see you in the desert!

Dave in Vegas

9. per volquartz

per volquartz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There were more than Natural Rock in Zion!

Not Grafton - but Zion...

Attached Files:

10. per volquartz

per volquartz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Joshua Tree Basic Information

Friday:

Shooting

---------------------------------

Saturday schedule in Joshua Tree is as follows:

We meet at 9AM, get to know one another and become aware of equipment and the physical areas within Joshua Tree.

After that we'll will do a few practical demonstrations:

Proper use of tripod.
    Using a grey card for pre-exposure to control contrast (demonstrated with Polaroid 4x5). If you haven't seen this before you may blow your mind.
    Proper view camera usage will also be covered.
    However, the most important aspect of landscape photography will be discussed after that (How to find the "Essence of a given Scene")!

I am trying to get a couple of guest presenters to participate. Should know a few days beforehand!

Saturday night - shooting until dark - then our annual cook-out / Mexican food supplied and prepared by Greg and Alan. (Alan does not want to charge for this; however a $5 donation to cover some of his expenses would be good.). You are free to bring drinks, snacks whatever - to share with others. We usually have a great campfire and if the weather permits always have a grand time. As the shadows get longer, the stories get bolder...

---------------------------------

Sunday AM (After shooting early AM)
    We will look at prints and transparencies. If you have work you want to show others (transparencies and prints) please bring it...

From around 11 to 2 or so we try to wind up the workshop by answering questions and / or demonstrating technique.

It will be fun. You will meet other photographers, see lots of different cameras (from Holgas to 7"X17" - or larger?) and equipment, hopefully learn new techniques (or share your own?), but most of all be preared for a great time!

Please note that this is a Gettogether / Workshop, which means that you are free to participate or may decide to roam around on your own. No one gets offended!

volquartz@volquartz.com

11. Jan Pietrzak

Jan Pietrzak Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Per,

This year I will try to make it. But not sure if I will camp or motel it. Keep me informed. I will plan to bring along a few platinum/palladium prints to show, if that is ok.

Jan Pietrzak

12. per volquartz

per volquartz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Platinum Prints would be great, Jan!

Please bring some and help re-kindle an interest in the process!
    At this workshop there may be several people, who have never seen a Platinum print or know anything about the process!

13. per volquartz

per volquartz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    THE FREE JOSHUA TREE workshop is this coming weekend!!!

Joshua Tree Free Workshop / Gettogether this weekend!

Friday (for those who like to come early) + Saturday and Sunday.

If you can please bring a bit of firewood (old growth preferred but we aren't choosy)!
    Be sure to bring warm clothing, a hat, sun glasses, sun screen, water and plenty of film.
    If you have work (prints - transparencies) of your own that you would like to share / show off please bring that as well.
    It could be prints or transparencies. If you bring transparencies it would be great to bring a small battery powered light table.

Tentative schedule:

Friday afternoon:

Scouting shooting

Saturday

9:00 AM We meet
    As always please bring your equipment so we can learn what you are working with: tripod, camera etc...
    General info etc...

9:30 David Wooten will show off his 7X17" sheet film camera and explain how he uses his 6X18cm camera in conjunction with his larger camera.

10:30 Jan Pietrzak will show his Platinum prints and give a brief talk about Platinum printing in general

11:15 Ill demonstrate pre-exposure and offer a few pointers about tripod usage, view camera workings etc...

12:00 Frank Schlegel will show his Platinum / Palladium prints

!2:30 or 12:45 - 1:30 we break for lunch

Scouting - photography until 45 minutes after sunset.

Dinner time! Alan has offered (as usual) to cook up a storm. Although he is not asking for anyone to pay I think it would be great to give him $5 per person.
    BRING A CHAIR FOR YOURSELF!!! and a flash light is good too for finding your way back to your campsite after dinner!

Anyway we usually have a big campfire, eat a lot, tell stories and have a great time!

Sunday:

Photography / early shooting = before / during / after sunrise.

9:30 or so at the campground we'll look at prints and transparencies.

10:30 Environmental portraiture - how shooting portraits on location goes well with landscape photography. Using small reflectors and pre-exposure to get maximum shadow detail (for those "glowing" images).

11:30 Questions - and hopefully good answers?

12:15 lunch

The afternoon is open; many people will be leaving for that for some long trip home.

The rest of us may hang around - depending on weather etc. and do some photography in the afternoon.

Please email me your car license, cell phone #, and time of arrival. Also please let me know if you plan to camp or live the high life = staying at a super deluxe motel in 29 palms or Joshua Tree!

It will be fun!

Per

Please email me right away if you want to participate but have not signed up yet:

volquartz@volquartz.com

http://www.pervolquartz.com

14. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Per, I've got an 800 watt inverter hard-wired into my car. I'll bring my light box as well. As long as i'm parked withing 100ft of the campsite we can have power.
    Is there a particular group of campsites we plan to occupy?

15. per volquartz

per volquartz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Name of Campsite is in email that just went out...

- a few secrets are best kept off the net...

:smile:

16. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will be bringing a couple of strobes and accessories and my Alien Bees Vagabond invertor...works for lights, not coffee pots.

I'm trying to procure a local model to do some Env. Ports for me and her, on TFP basis. That is not confirmed yet. In case it becomes reality, if anyone's interested in also using her, let me know.

Matt

17. per volquartz

per volquartz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    As you'll find out in Joshua Tree:

REAL photographers drink their coffee out of official apug mugs!

(A blatent commercial message / plug here!)

18. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Per,

The Ape Hug Mug Plug....is a good idea....I'll be sure and bring mine...

we could start the Apug Mug club....now what to fill it with?

19. per volquartz

per volquartz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Dave, REAL phographers...

- drink dark, homebrewed used Pyro color coffee!

20. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Boy oh boy....here I mention a (beautiful, tall, young, female) model may be coming out and all you dudes can go on about is coffee and mugs...

WHERE ARE YOUR PRIORITIES MEN!?

21. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thats how I drink mine!!!!

BTW, I finally got the B&W processed that I shot at the Oregon workshop. I don't have a darkroom, but I'll scan some of the negatives, and if worthwhile, I'll send them out for printing.

22. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    sorry Matt,

you hadn't mentioned tall and young,

but I think first one must be a pug mug member

23. per volquartz

per volquartz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Looks like we'll have pleasant weather in Joshua Tree!

Clear skies.
    Mid 60's during the day.
    Upper 30's - low 40's at night.
    A far cry from last years deluge!

Barker dam has water!

Bring plenty of film!!!

24. per volquartz

per volquartz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Last Call for Joshua Tree!

Many people will arrive tomorrow, Friday.

Most people will be there Saturday. The event starts Saturday 9:30 AM. Come for the day or stay overnight in the campground - or in nearby luxury accommodations in the metropolis of Joshua Tree - or 29 Palms.

Maps have been emailed to everyone.

For last minute info please email me at:
    volquartz@volquartz.com

http://www.pervolquartz.com

25. per volquartz

per volquartz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    From the Joshua Tree Free Workshop...

Free Workshops offer a great way to see new ideas and working methods.
    Here is one example:

Karen showed up with her homemade cardboard camera all wrapped in black gaffers tape. The camera was ugggggly - utter garbage. In order to shoot a single shot the film holder / Polaroid holder had to be taped in place to prevent light leaks. The pinhole was a piece of tinfoil with a crude f128 hole (roughly)...

However, Karen did some great imagery with her camera.

Her is one shot:
    (Please click on image link)

Attached Files: