That came quietly, New Kodak Film!

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by ajuk, Apr 11, 2006.

1. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Kodak Have upgraded Portra 800

[​IMG]

Didn't think It had been that long since the last time this film was updated.

2. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  3. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is probably the 2 electron sensitization!

PE

4. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It was announced at PMA, although quietly. There is also a mention in the latest Shutterbug.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I note that it is available in 120 and 220 as well.

I also note the reference in the press release to an improved 35mm film base material, with better anti-static characteristics.

Anything that helps with dust deserves it's own press release, IMHO :rolleyes: .

Matt

6. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I Bet you think I am obsessed with that! I'm not sure if it does.

7. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would rather that they canceled this new product, and gave us back Panatomic X, Super XX, and the ortho copy films. What is color film good for, anyway? :smile:

8. reggie

reggie Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I don't even know what that means! Hey Ron, English only, ok?

-R

9. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Colour?

David

10. battra92

battra92 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Always nice to see more options out there for us consumers. While I don't generally use films of that speed, it is nice to know that such films are still being developed.

11. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Has anyone been able to get this yet, apart from Kodak samples?

Thanks,
    Helen

12. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, even this good bit of news, Kodak somehow managed to screw up. The way the majority of the film community has been (rightfully) crapping on them lately... they do this how???!!! Quietly???!!! Well, thats good for them - shhhhh, hope no one finds out! God forbid this stuff actually sells and/or plays a part in bringing back some film customers! I do not get this incompetently ran, mismanaged, directionless and bumbling giant of a company.
    Way to go, Big Yellow Braintrust.

Peter.

13. edz

edz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How? By developing and delivering state of the art films? For Kodak its a pedestrian affair which they've been doing for over a century.

Do you think they'd be better served by hyping their new film products? Kodak, firstly, has never been terribly good at hyping their films and, secondly, they are not a little piss-in-the-pot company like the B&W snake oil film vendors that frequent these forums to hype their meagre offerings. Kodak is a public traded company with billions of USD turnover--- alone nearly 3 billion in the first quarter of this year--- and over 1 billion (yes, that's billion folks) in cash. Film is widely viewed as if not obsolete and fading technology then unsexy by the market. Its not about income base but belief. Look at Google and before it Yahoo, Red Hat, AOL, Netscape etc. and all the other "hot tech stocks". Its not their job to fight the mindset of Wall Street but to work within its and their own institutional contraints.

For Kodak to survive the current market they must send the right signals and that's right now "Digital" or go the way of George Eastman. Why do you think they appointed an ink-jetter from HP to CEO?

Kodak will continue to make and sell films as long as people purchase them. And these films will be good since Kodak knows--- better than perhaps any other company on the planet (including Fuji)--- how to make good films. Its their income base and what's special about Kodak.. but hush.. don't tell anyone.. its not good for their reputation...

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I, for one take offense to this. Who the hell are you to judge who is a "piss-pot" company and who is not?

Alright .. you have your opinions and are entitled to them ... but that is NOT a justification for a sweeping condemnation of those sponsoring, or attempting to make available to this community, CHOICES in film.

Do you actually mean to suggest that Ilford ... who have exhibited their concern for us and our preferences, wants and needs - time and time again - is a "snake oil" company?

16. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    One question ... How is Kodak's "800" - and that DOES refer to film speed - any FASTER - or slower than anyone else's ISO 800 film?

Are they suggesting that Fuji's PRO 800Z is of another ISO speed ... or that their's is..? ... or are they trying to deny PRO 800Z exists?

Memo to self ... Don't listen to Kodak's sales pitches.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2006
  17. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure what all the critique is about. How was this introduced "quietly"? Just because you guys didn't hear of it? Sorry, but who made you king with the right to know first? Oh, and just a question: Could YOU manage Kodak - a multinational billion dollar organization with a diverse product line any better?

I didn't think so.

I know that's harsh, but look, Kodak has done some supreme blunders in terms of strategy, but the rhetoric and posturing from the masses is a bit much as well, IMNSHO.

Regards, Art.

18. edz

edz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Companies with questionable coating done (perhaps) in Southern and/or Eastern Europe on machines that were considered industrial junk over 30 years ago and with a total manpower that's less than the cleaning staff of the Kodak company cantina in Rochester but pretending to be "world players" I call piss-pot..

Kodak, by contrast, has the most state of the art coating on the planet, has significant intellectual property and research assets. The technologies that on a given day Kodak sets aside in their dustbin are light years beyond anything they could ever dream of..

Its like comparing Boeing to Revell.. wel not really.. Revell is a significant player in their market.. they don't make and don't claim to make jets.. well, only modell ones..

Kodak is a multi-billion dollar global conglomerate--- and the leader, btw., in digital imaging technolgies. More than 1000 times as many direct jobs (and significantly more indirect and subcontractor) hand on what Kodak does... if it makes the stock market happy or not..

19. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On the one hand, Fuji change the name of NPZ to Pro 800Z without changing the emulsion and on the other hand Kodak make another improvement to Portra 800 and signify it by another small change in the box design.

I know that this reflects more on the two retailers than on Kodak, but neither B&H nor Adorama acknowledge the existence of the new emulsion - including the film buyer at B&H. But hey, who could be expected to read the new product news from PMA whether in print or on the web? Presumably both A and B have large stocks of 800-2.

As far as the speed goes, the small print in Kodak's blurb is that the new Portra has 'Best in class underexposure latitude' and I believe that's true. Like 100UC, the box speed is not based on toe speed - I chose 100UC because it could be a 160 film if you judged by the characteristic curve alone. If you compare the characteristic curves of 800Z and Portra 800 you will see that Portra 800 has a significantly higher toe speed than 800Z, and this corresponds with my experience of the two films.

The 18% Status M red aim density (0.80 for 800Z and 0.85 for Portra 800) is achieved at a lower exposure for the Portra 800 than for 800Z. There isn't as big a difference in this value as there is for the toe speed, but it is still there: ie it takes less exposure to achieve the manufacturer's recommended density for a midtone with Portra 800 than it does for 800Z. I believe that Kodak are justified in claiming that Portra 800 is the fastest pro film with '800' written on the box, and that is one of the reasons why I use more Portra 800 than 800Z.

Best,
    Helen

20. digiconvert

digiconvert Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why all the negatives from what appears to be two entrenched positions re Kodak and the rest of the world. The film buying public is declining not growing so breaking up into smaller cliques will not do anyone any good.
    I have used portra 400 and found it to be a good film, I like Fuji transparencies but have recently been impressed by Kodachrome 64, I use Efke film whuich is repackaged FP4+.
    All of the film manufacturers are doing us a favour by investing in a declining market so lets give praise where it's due. As to 'piss pot' coaters in southern/eastern europe I believe a Mr Eastman once had a fairly small 'piss pot' company, only the market will decide if these new companies will succeed or fail-it's called capitalism !

Just my few pennies !

21. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Interesting. You did not differentiate: Those "pi...." (- I'm not going to use that term - it is utterly class-less) - you lumped into one generality; Those that post here ... and Ilford *IS* one of those that post here.

Let me ask again: Do you think that Ilford is one of those that belong in your condemnation - Or does one have to evaluate each by geographic location, and number of employees?

Personally, I do NOT like Kodak's products ... no matter how big and market-dominating they may be. If others do -- all well and good.

22. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Interesting, if somewhat overwhelming.

Two questions: Where do you suggest I set my exposure meter (to start - I'll establish my own E.I. - as usual); and am I correct in assuming that you would like to see another method for determining "Box Speed"?

23. CraigK

CraigK Member

This just in from edz:

Big + new = good.

Small + old = bad.

I am now off to sell my small, old pisspot in order to buy a new, big piss pot. I think they are on sale at Walmart.

24. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    New Kodak Max 800

Sorry for reviaval, but there is also apparently a new Kodak Max 800.

They say somwhere there "much finer grain" so these new film do have that 2 electron thing.

Link

25. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, they do.

From this point on, both Fuji and Kodak will have only relatively minor improvements to incorporate into film, as silver gelatin is such a mature science. Discoveries are rather hard to come by.

Fuji's Tellurium sensitization is now in product.

PE

26. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't know how I made that asumption there, maybe I meant that as a retorical question, and I forgot the question mark, as I would have thought that kodak would out right say that is has the 2 eletron thing!

Anyway I think I would be right in asuming that we have the continued popularity of movie film to thank for any new developments in film?