That Ilford disposable camera...

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Stephanie Brim, May 23, 2008.

1. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So, I'm in a pickle. My boyfriend and I are gearing up for a possible trip to Lazerfest 2.0, the best rock concert of the summer in Iowa. Hinder, Filter, STP, Staind, and possibly others will be there. I'm very excited because this will pretty much be the first concert I've ever gone to. (I've lived a sheltered life.)

The problem is that they won't allow any real cameras in. They say to bring disposables, but I don't want to shoot color. I want to shoot my normal B&W. So...

How are the Ilford disposable cameras? Do they still make them?

2. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They are still available here in the UK. Can't speak for the US, though I would expect they are on someone's stocklist over there. Try googling them. 'Ilford HP5+ disposable cameras'.

3. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did. I can't find a store that stocks.

4. r-brian

r-brian Member

5. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hrm. If I get those I'll have to burn one to see how the film reacts in the developer I choose. I've never used the Rollei Retro films before.

6. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not just go on Eboy and pick up an Olympus mju or similar?

7. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They want you to use disposables. I'm afraid that if I come with even one of my cheap P&S cameras they're not going to let me in...so I'm trying to find alternative routes that will give me slightly better quality than a consumer POS disposable without breaking the rules.

8. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take an XA, and tell them it is disposable.

9. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Inside the disposable is a roll of 35, the camera winds it into the cartridge as you shoot it. Though I've never tried, it should be possible to remove the color and put a roll of similar ISO B&W in.
    After all, these cameras don't get tossed when you get the film processed, they are sent to some factory somewhere that reloads them with new film.

10. bennoj

bennoj Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The chromogenic B&W film in the Kodak B&W disposable can return pretty good results. Yes, you'll have to get it processed by a color lab, but you'll still be able to print them in your own dark room.

As well, it is possible to get decent B&W prints from color film (takes some tweaking sometimes, but you can do it), especially if you're printing them yourself and have the time to experiment. I've also made some good lith prints from color negs.

11. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nah, doesn't need to be processed by a color lab... :wink: I've done the Kodak B&W in Rodinal before with okay results, but I think that I'd better invest in some D76 if I want to do it again. Too much grain in Rodinal.

12. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  13. David William White

David William White Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I've done this. You need to take an exacto knife to the dimples on the inside of the cartridge core and rough in a crown on the end so it will wind.

If you pull apart a disposable, you can see the mods you need to make to the cartridge to make it fit and wind the film in.

I did this with a reloadable cartridge and my daughter used it many times over during one summer.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's rebranded Agfa film from the last of the master rolls, so any of the APX 400 times should be good.

I haven't used any myself (lots of Tri-x still), but I understand some people quite like it.

16. Mark Antony

Mark Antony Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  17. yellowcat

yellowcat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It is possible to reload disposable cameras, I have done it. When you put the film in tape it up with black electrical tape to make sure it is light tight then you find the slot on the bottom and use a screwdriver to wind the film out of the cassette into the camera body. There are different designs of disposable and some are easier to reload than others.
    If you ask at a processing lab they may let you have a few used ones to experiment with.

One last thing, if you are taking a disposable apart make sure you discharge the flash, you can get quite a jolt from one of these cameras.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008
  18. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An Olympus MJU is so small that it will fit in a shirt pocket. No one is going to rifle through your pockets looking for it. The camera has a very good 35 mm f/2.8 lens and makes excellent photos. Do you think the morons standing guard at the concert will know that? More than likely not. If they do, will they care? Again, not likely. What they don't want to see is competition. They don't want you going in there with a camera enabling you to compete with their hired photographers. Then you sell photos from which they cannot extract a profit. It all boils down to money. They don't give a rat's ass about you or your camera or anything else.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008
  19. haris

haris Guest

If for whatever reason you don't get disposable camera:

Buy cheap P/S at E..y or elsewhere and if you get into with it, great, if they don't let you go in, just throw it in a bin and go to the concert :smile:.

Security will be too much busy checking all those people with digicams :smile:

By the way, I had Olympjus MjuII and it is GREAT little camera. I mean P/S with f2 lens (35mm) AND spot metering :smile:...

I think in USA it was named Stylus Epic or like that...

P.S. If they are so worried about photography they should ban mobile phones with cameras :smile:

20. Wishy

Wishy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Vivitar Ultra Wide and Slim? Its entirely plastic, bit easy to reload.

But bare in mind lens sizes, you probably want one with a 50mm lens on it, which should be obtainable but might need looking for?

By the way, is this open air during the day? Anything else and don't expect to get much off the negs...

21. m_liddell

m_liddell Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think the C41 kodak option would be a good choice given these disposable cameras don't exactly have a full range of apertures and shutter speeds! How big a concert is it? A 35mm lens (a guess) is not going to be anywhere near long enough even if you are right at the front from experience :sad:

Your best bet is to get a small p&s digital with zoom in by hiding it in your bra and a baggy top :D

22. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How about a Holga?

I mean, if you're going to accept sh!tty plastic lenses anyway...me, I'd rather not chintz on the quality of the lens and I doubt you would either.

The small P&S's are a good bet, if size matters.

23. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Holga was actually my first thought. Combined with a few rolls of Foma 100 and Foma 400 I should be set to go in various situations. I'll see what I can get in and what I can't.

24. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a lame concert with dumbass rules. I'd skip it and not give them a dime of my money. Good thing you found out before you got there.

25. HerrBremerhaven

HerrBremerhaven Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take a real camera . . . just a small one, and then wrap it in coloured cardboard to get it into the venue. Add some electrical tape to make it look worse.
    :D

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

26. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Kodak makes a B&W disposable.