The Belomo Etude. The ugliest camera I own

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by djgeorgie, Feb 26, 2013.

1. djgeorgie

djgeorgie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scc1ke1Im8M

Here's a video review.

I'm actually having fun shooting with this camera. I think it's my only focus free camera. I've been using my heavy graflex XL for months now, and this camera is weightless compared to the Graflex XL.

What's the ugliest camera you own?

2. sbattert

sbattert Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Mine is one of the Keystone Everflash cameras. Rechargeable, didn't need flash cubes, took 126 film. I never used it, it was given to me DOA. A face only a mother could love.

3. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's not a camera, It's a Soviet cell phone :D

4. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some of the Baby Brownie cameras were pretty odd looking. There's the Kodak Duaflex that looks odd. They didn't call the Argus C-3 "The Brick" for nothing.

However, the ugliest thing I've got is probably the Keystone Aerial Camera. It doesn't even really look like a camera unless you know what it is. Then, again, it wasn't designed for looks. Was it?

5. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My vote goes to the Konica Aiborg http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Konica_AiBORG, I used to have to try sell them for a living, but never sold even one, if Moses had seen the Aiborg there would have been an eleventh commandment :D.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2013
  6. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The camera in the video reminds me of a Graflex or Mamiya that I saw once. Enormous viewfinder spanning the whole of the top of the camera, butt-ugly thing.

The most unfortunate-looking rig in my accumulation would probably be (excepting one or two so-called bridge cams) the Elan IIE. Champagne-colored metal top and front, with a huge round IR focus-assist port on the front. This thing was so visually offensive when I first saw it that I stayed away from the camera store for several years and refused to upgrade my original Elan. Lately I've discovered the usefulness of lightweight gear, swallowed my pride, and bought one via ebay. It's actually an excellent camera, and are so cheap and plentiful that I bought a few. The all-black EOS 55 (Japanese model) isn't quite so hideous; I managed to snag a pair from KEH for $26 each.

Other ugly conventional cameras of my acquaintance include the Canon AL-1, T-50, T-70, and (shudder) the T-80 with the goiter lens.

7. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My cameras look OK... I'm ugly! :surprised:

8. dnjl

dnjl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That is one offensively ugly plastic blob of a camera.

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When it was born the midwife slapped it in the mouth :D

10. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    No, we had a thread about this some time ago and Benjiboy came up with with the Konica Airborg which by comparison makes the Belomo Etude look like a Leica IIIg.

11. revdocjim

revdocjim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Minolta users generally agree that the 800si was the ugliest SLR body from their stable, with the oversized viewfinder. Of course it was also the most powerful built in flash ever!