The Brits and Americans are invading Canada

Discussion in 'Workshops & Lectures' started by Bob Carnie, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I am proud to announce a special workshop here in Ontario this October.
    Joe Cornish, Les McLean , Bill Schwab, Sandy King and a host of supporters will be offering a colour , black and white and large format workshop in the Ottawa Valley region.
    We will have Cabins, Camping facilities for different budgets and as well each of the above will lead specific image capture courses.
    Joe will be concentrating on colour, Bill will be concentrating on Black and White soup to nuts, and Sandy will be offering a large format basic workshop.
    Both Les and I will be in the background with processing editing and print production. As well Les is always bragging about how good of a musician he is so maybe he will be willing to play a few tunes around the fire.
    The goal will be for each student to be able to work through the whole process from exposing the image, editing and finally attending and exhibiting images taken at this workshop at gala gallery opening at Elevator shortly after returning from the North.
    Les and I along with the Elevator team will handle the printing and framing of the show and I can imagine that it will be a highlight of the fall for us.
    Details will follow on www.elevatorworkshops.com as the year unfolds. The time line will be October 22 - 26 for the workshop and the Gala Event will be Oct 29.

2. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    To quote Dinesh, "will there be beer?"

3. Krockmitaine

Krockmitaine Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the heads up !

4. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I would bet on it

5. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now THIS looks like fun!

6. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What Jeanette said... :D

7. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    This sounds like a not-to-miss event for those who can get there. While I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Les, Bill or Sandy, I can say that not only is Joe an accomplished artist (as are the others of course!), he's an inspiring teacher as well.

8. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, well. This will merit further investigation and consideration. :smile:

9. Jerry Basierbe

Jerry Basierbe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep. Sounds like a good one. My spot is reserved.

Jerry

10. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What Jeanette and Suzanne said!

11. Dinesh

Dinesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Magic!

12. MartinB

MartinB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ballpark cost?

Bob,
    I know this is early and you will post details but do you have any idea of approximate cost? I can only attend one workshop this year and others under consideration require sign up now so have to make a decision.

thanks

Martin

13. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Sorry Martin
    I am going to the location this week with Sandy King, and Les to discuss the workshop, Each leader will kind of determine their needs and once we have found out their needs we will then figure the fees.
    I will follow on this matter in the next few weeks.

Bob

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Brian Gatien

Brian Gatien Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Testing the invasion; learning lots

Just spent four days with Carnie, McLean and King at the workshop location as the test attendee. The White Pines cottage and camping place in the Greater Madawaska Highlands is a fabulous site for the base camp for the workshop. Fully equipped cabins and lots of room for tents, trailers and RV's. We were winter photographing but I imagine that the area will be spectacular in the fall. It was great having full days with Les and Sandy taking images, asking questions and learning from them. Even greater was just sitting and listening to them talk photography. Captain Bob (Carnie) and his crew are planning a phenomenal workshop for all kinds of photographers. I am signed up.
    Brian
    (formerly known as BRG)

16. fluffy_penguins

fluffy_penguins Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    anyone see the sasquatch? he's been hangin' around madawaska--

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=1291

seriously, looks to be a blast. time to head back to the homeland for a bit, i think! thefizz, fintan... fancy a canadian road trip with a stop in ontario? it's not too far north, i used to party near there when i was in high school, oh, a million years ago...

c.

17. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can I go to Omemee, the town With dream comfort memory to spare ? And perhaps catch a Yellow moon on the rise?

:smile:

18. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Even though i wouldn't consider this location remotely close to being "north" I'm going to do what ever it takes to attend. Neil Young tunes and howling at the moon at midnight are not out of the question. Should i bring a camera?:D

19. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh Canada, you're in my blood like wine:D:tongue:

20. North Light Press

North Light Press Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am so looking forward to this.

Bill

21. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    quick update

first thanks Brian for the kind words and you are very adept at outing yourself before McLean or I could.. the poor bugger is just probably now walking in to his house with Marge.

We have a lot of interest in this course and are now at 15 reserved for the course.
    The whole magilla *as Callow would say * will be posted over the next two weeks , that include agenda , perks, costs, requirements and overall info for one to make a decision.
    We also will be posting images taken from our winter trip, as well as fall images from the region.
    I am very pleased to have the likes of Cornish, Schwab , King and McLean , leading this event .

Our intent is to carefully take each student through , Image composition, exposure / development, editing considerations, printing considerations, and finally a full on gallery exhibit to show the talents of each participant.
    We will be processing/developing and printing onsite , so that in the evenings we will be doing print critiques as well each student will at the last night basically see the whole show in sequence before, Mclean and I head back to make the final prints for the show.

As Brian has stated , the facilities is great for such an undertaking and we are excited to put this together.

22. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

23. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

I had a pretty awful return trip myself. Got stuck in Chicago last evening waiting for a connecting flight and did not make it home until around 4am this morning.

To add to what Brian and Bob have already said, the facilities are first class and the area is very beautiful. I am really looking forward to photographing there in the fall as there should be some outstanding color.

For a southern born and raised guy the area was plenty far north for me for a winter outing!

Sandy King

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2008
  24. Brian Gatien

Brian Gatien Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The advance team

Here is a snap of the advance team; ankle-deep in the snow last weekend: Sandy King, Captain Bob Carnie, Les McLean.
    Friday and Saturday were beautiful Canadian winter days and showed what the area can offer for possibilities for some great images this fall (even though both King and McLean would have preferred more diffuse light).
    Brian

Attached Files:

25. Jerry Basierbe

Jerry Basierbe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm really looking forward to this one.

Jerry

26. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How many do you expect (or hope) to have?