The cheapest and most effective safe light.

The cheapest and most effective safe light.

1. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Claire Senft submitted a new resource:

The cheapest and most effective safe light. - The cheapest and most effective safe light.

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2016
  2. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    comments from previous article system:

By Clueless - 12:52 PM, 01-29-2005 Rating: None
    While your writing style is always fun, and informative -if not iconoclastic, just how old are those eyes that can get whacked by such a blaze of light and then evaluate for the intended display light level/quality? A few times of "that" and I'd have to sit down and take a Midol.
    By Claire Senft - 02:53 PM, 08-19-2005 Rating: None
    64 and counting.

3. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting! I would rather test my safe-lit area to make sure I don't get fog, and use the safe light. If I tried it in the dark, I would probably get the print in the wrong tray half the time, and maybe on the floor some of the time. :rolleyes:

4. dslater

dslater Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hmmm - well I have not forgone the safe light, but I have forgone watching the image come up. I process all my prints face down in the trays to prevent fogging. I then take them out into another room with a white light to examine them - this is actually a necessary step as my darkroom is 4' by 5.5' and heats up quickly if I don't open the door on a regular basis.

5. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The first mistake I've found in the design of my new darkroom is my failure to consider the need to be able to turn on the overhead lights from the sink. Fortunately it's only about 3 steps to the switch.

6. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got around the light switch problem by fitting an IR operated switch - now I can switch the main lights on/off from anywhere in the room. A similar system I saw uses a unit that plugs in to the light bulb socket.

7. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's brilliant.

8. Gerald Koch

Gerald Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Back in the days of orthochromatic films the cheapest safelight was a small candle. You didn't even need electricity. Ah, simpler times.

9. Petzi

Petzi Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    You can always use a roller transporter machine to minimize exposure to the safe light.

10. thebdt

thebdt Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I saw how much "safelights" cost, and realizing that they're not even pure red, realized they're a proper swindle. I used to do microelectronics and LED lighting as a hobby (still do, sort of). You can purchase red LEDs in bulk from China via ebay; you pay a little extra and you get a deeper, truer red. Anyway, for like $20 you can get 100+, and for like $10 you can get 25 or so . . .

You slip a watch battery in between the leads of the LED (be sure to mind polarity), and then use a small magnet to keep the battery in place. The magnet will also allow you to stick the new "safelight" anywhere in your darkroom where there's a metal surface. I personally put my lights on the chrome in my bathtub, as my bathroom is my darkroom. I bought some surplus LEDs awhile ago, which are rated at exactly 660nm. I can literally hold orthochromatic film or paper against the light and not have any fogging. I know it's harder to get "true red" like that, inexpensively, but the slightly oranger reds in the 640nm range are also very safe.

If you get tired of buying new watch batteries, like I did, you can buy a small breadboard at any electronics store (like Fry's), and a two-battery adapter set to power it (either AA or AAA, they're both the same voltage, AA just lasts longer).

11. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice tip, Claire. Thank you.

12. 3Dfan

3Dfan Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Perhaps not practical, but I think one of the old red railroad kerosene lanterns would be neat for a safelight.