The conventions of limited editions

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by gwatson, May 17, 2005.

1. gwatson

gwatson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all

Can anyone help me with a question on the general conventions surrounding limited editions. A company have approached me about supplying them with some images for a poster publication. However, the images are represented by galleries and are selling as limited editions of 25.

My instincts tell me that this would be OK, since the L/E prints are hand printed silver prints and I am not selling the exclusivity of the image, but of the print.

Is this the accepted position or do I risk damaging my reputation?

Many thanks

Geoff

2. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When images are published their gallery value increases.

Let the gallery know you are doing it... it will help sales. Then go ahead.

3. sparx

sparx Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Isn't that the line there. I can think of so many cases where there are limited editions of something, followed by market saturation of the same thing but slightly different. DVD's, CD's, cars, books, games, ad infinitum.

4. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have no real idea of what the phrase "Limited Editions" means. There is a perception by the public that they will buy something rare ... limited to "ONLY xx number of copies". However, the "limiting" can easily be interpreted in a number of ways; as "ONLY 25 Prints will be made at the hands of the photographer'", or "ONLY 25 Silver Gelatin Prints will be made by anyone - reproductions in other media may be of any number," or "Only 25 Prints will be made in this run."

What I have seen of "Limited Editions": Signed by the Photographer/ Artist, and numbered, "xx/25". That signature and the expressed intent of "no more" sanctioned directly by the photographer, should be sufficient (IMHO) to define a "Limited Edition".

5. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There is no better solution than talking to the gallery. At the very least if they object to it you will know.