The Digital-Film PhotoJournalist's Caste System

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by bjorke, Feb 20, 2004.

Do You Read the Digital Journalist?

1. Religiously

100.0%
  2. Very Occasionally

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I never touch anything with the "D" word

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I have no interest in journalism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What is this 'digital' thing you are talking about?

3. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

The digital journalist is primarily about photojournalism, which used to be one of the highest callings a photographer could have. the business has certainly changed quite a bit and depends on digital tools to survive.
    That said, there are still some photographers who choose to use B&W film in a more contemplative approach to covering the news and the results are as good as anything from the classic Look and Life days. PDN devoted an issue to the subject of classic vs digital PJ coverage a while back.
    My primary reason to read the digital journalist is Bill Pierce's monthly column - lots of wisdom - much of it on standard analogue tools.
    I have the 15th edition of the Leica manual from around the early 70's. Bill has a series of brilliant technical articles in it. One, in particular, "Getting the most out of Black and White film" should be required reading or anyone getting started with B&W. It cut a year off my learning curve.

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I also like Bill Pierce's column. I don't read it regularly, but it's a great resource, and I'll check through the archives occasionally to see if there's anything good that I've missed.

The site doesn't glorify digital or exclude film, but it's more about the transition to digital techniques and what it means for journalists in the field, particularly with regard to still photographers who have added video to their repertoire.