The dollar

Discussion in 'Australia' started by tomalophicon, Aug 7, 2011.

1. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    So I just checked the exchange rate.
    We are almost 1 for 1 again.
    For you financiers out there, is it time to buy film now?:munch:

2. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just compare the prices online and you will see for yourself. Even when the dollar was only about 80 US cents it was still worthwhile. Now, at or near parity, it is more worthwhile, even when shipping costs are factored in.

3. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Kevin, thanks. Yes it always makes sense to buy from the US. I'm just wondering if I should jump in now before it drops even lower. I've heard there are some problems with the US economy at the moment.
    Tom.

4. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, a major financial watchdog downgraded US Government credit rating from AAA to a AA+.
    First time in the history of the rating system we have not had AAA.

What exactly this means in the sustainable future is yet to be seen but is expected to cause "issues".

I am not an economist. :munch:

5. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So... Is it tipped the Aussie dollar will fall further? I've really enjoyed being this far ahead of the yanks :tongue:

...And I want to buy some stuff too...

6. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Well, I need some film... so it makes sense.
    Who's in for a Freestyle order??? :smile:

7. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a good deal of pushback toward Standard and Poor's rating service (those wonderful folks who rated subprime mortgage "assets" AAA a while ago). The other rating agencies are not following suit, nor are the markets up to now.

8. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These babies are "The New Dollar:"

[​IMG]

9. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's always time to buy film :wink: Seriously. If you can afford it, buy it, store it, especially anything that may be going away (e.g. slide films in LF sizes).

The implications of the financial situation are that some companies may need to take drastic measures. (even though quite a few large companies are on better financial footing than our governments!) This situation usually means reducing inventory, charging more for shipments, eliminating whole product lines, and refocussing on the most profitable core businesses. And, sorry (I really am), for the likes of Kodak and Fuji, film production and distribution and marketing is a net drain.

On the other hand, we do see the likelihood of a drop in prices of most petrochemicals, following the decline of crude oil, but my guess is that no company will pass that savings on to the consumer. They seldom do :wink:

The price of silver may well rise a bit, but the commodities have been one ridiculous bubble for a long time so I doubt that price increase will in any rational way affect film prices.

So, the main risk factors for film are: reduced inventory, and realignment and consolidation of core business, and greater cost for shipments.

So... yeah, buy buy buy :wink: And consider buying stock too. Many great bargains soon!

10. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak stock seems to be going cheap!

I once heard an economist once say 'Never catch a Falling knife'. With the US now borrowing MORE money instead of trying to fix the mess they are already in, me thinks the falling knifes are still gathering speed......

As for buying film, its always a good time!

11. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes and it gets better by the day!

Even if you don't plan to shoot it... Regarding polaroid, I remember asking the question right here on apug: "how much will the very last polaroid shot be worth?" and of course the correct answer is priceless. So I invested in some 8x10 polaroid and... suffice it to say that it worked out quite nicely for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2011
  12. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Yes, of course buying film is always a good idea.
    But I can either afford stock OR film, and stock doesn't seem like much fun.

13. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree!

Jeff

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Is AA+ bad? If I got AA+ on an exam or school report I would be very pleased!

Steve.

16. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :D

17. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    With marks like that you could be President. Oh wait, no...

18. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most here in the states are fed up with the White House, the Senate and Congress. Spending like drunken sailors and S&P might be actually bold enough to speak out what the rest of the country already knows. The world knows too.

So if your looking to pick up a film order I'd do it now, everything in the Us is about to spike we feel.

Sad days when politicization sell out the economy for their own power.

19. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    USA - USA - USA!

20. Tony Egan

Tony Egan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Based on traditional purchasing price parity analysis (aka the Big Mac test) the AUD should be worth about 0.76 USD so still plenty of room for a big drop. Demand for Australian commodities, the carry trade (AU interest rates much higher than other countries) and fundamental weakness in USD itself is propping up the AUD vs USD. As in 2008 it could drop 25 points in a heartbeat so buy now! On the other hand it could go higher in the short term but you have photos to take!

Inflation is one way to get out of the current mess as it allows the borrowers to steal from the savers and helps close the gap on underwater asset values. It's political suicide but so is paying more tax and either way accepting a lower standard of living. Pick your poison!

21. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    When I went overseas in 2008 the AUD was as low as US$0.65 - so I'm thinking anytime this year has been awesome for buying film. I didn't hesitate to fill the fridge with plus-x before it went (in 120).

Marc!

22. NDP_2010

NDP_2010 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm keen for an order if someone wants to organise it :D Stocking up some colour 120 for a trip to Germany at the end of the year.

23. c.d.ewen

c.d.ewen Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    The political code-phrase for this (amongst the rightwingers, Murdoch, etc.) is American Exceptionalism.

Charley

24. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    More like American Penury.

25. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    OK I heard our dollar is on its way down. NDP-2010 see the other thread./

26. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get in before the Norman/Lew lobby lays the GST on us.

Visa have told the government to rack off, they are not tax collectors.

I guess the efficiency of charging the GST without the cooperation of Visa, Paypal etc. will mean that any foreign purchases below $1,000 will have to be handled in the way that purchases above that figure are conducted, i.e. the consignment is held at the mail centre or courier depot until the GST and perhaps duties are paid, Customs or the courier company will add their fee and much time and productivity will be added to the purchase of products which in many cases (anyone selling 5x7" sheet film in Oz?) are not available locally anyway.

But perhaps the extended bureaucratic procedure is what Gerry and co. are really aiming for as a deterrent.