The Getty Needs Your Help

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by SuzanneR, Feb 21, 2008.

1. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    (moderators: If you need to move this, do so)

The Getty Conservation Institute is looking for help in creating an archive of photographic materials.

From the site:

What You Can Do
    Send us samples of photographic paper and plates, film, negatives, sample books, and dated photographs. We need examples of all types of materials from every year since 1827. So, send us the box of Kodak Elite paper that might be collecting dust in your attic, that Foma film from 1985 that you think you'll never use, or the extra photographs from your 1988 (or 2006!) trip to Yosemite that didn't make it into your photo album.

We need samples that are dated and include the manufacturer's information. Even damaged materials are useful to us if they are stamped with a date and have the manufacturer's name or logo stamped on them.

Have a look at this for more details...

3. pauliej

pauliej Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Last dated Dec 2006? That's a pretty old posting, I imagine they are up to their necks in submissions by now. Wonder if they're willing to trade old film/paper for old canvas, covered with oils, etc. Just a thought...

paulie

4. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let's see, they won't give you a receipt for donation, they won't reimburse you for shipment and they restrict access to researchers and scientists; of whom I'll bet exactly none of us will fit that definition.

Frankly, I am tired of these types of back-handed solicitations that come from very well heeled institutions.

Let THEM eat cake...

5. rcoda

rcoda Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Please send your dusty Kodak Elite to me instead :smile:

6. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I understand Getty is a Bill Gates company. That alone would deter me from sending him anything (I'm that jealous of success).

7. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Huh?
    the Getty Centre in LA, linked to in the first post, is an art institute run on a multi billion dollar bequest left by oil man J Paul Getty.

You are perhaps thinking of the quite separate stock photo business Getty Images which is a public company that was started by a Getty descendant. The other big stock photo company is Corbis & that is privately owned by Bill Gates.

8. Bruce Osgood

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Ah, you are right. Sorry.

9. SuzanneR

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bill Gates is or was involved in Corbis, that may be the confusion.

10. gainer

gainer Subscriber

Bruce, you need a haircut.

11. CBG

CBG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An institution wants help to do something that will benefit photography, and we are asked, here, to get cheap about just some old film and materials?

I don't get it.

If I had some old stuff hanging around, I d be pleased to help them. Photography needs a historic record.

C

12. Bruce Osgood

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Patrick, you'll not find a bald spot
    :smile:

13. DKT

DKT Member

they didn't say they wouldn't give you a receipt--only that the dollar amount of the donation would probably not be worth much as a tax deduction really, or at least this is the way I read it. i'm sure if you donated say, a truckload of materials --like a truckload of type 55 with an expiration date this year--that you could get a receipt. But a 20 yr old roll of exposed kodacolor II, probably isn't worth much. I might send them some old film we have lying around, if someone wants to actively collect what would otherwise be thrown away, more power to 'em.

btw--from working at a museum that takes donations...the value of the item is determined either by an independent appraisal on the donor's end, or by the donor (and their accountant). The institution doesn't make that call, but there's a limit to the amount you can claim for a deduction, up to a certain amount before needing the appraisal. I've donated one or two items in the past, and didn't write them off, only because they were worth like, less than 5 bucks on the open market, but they were something that was needed and wound up being displayed actually. I did it because I wanted to, not because I wanted anything in return.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2008
  14. panastasia

panastasia Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I have some unopened Kodak color neg film in my fridge, if it's something discontinued (about 10 years old), I'll send it to them. I also have a roll of unopened Ektar 25 (35mm) in freezer, more than 10 years old. Is it still produced? I don't shoot color film anymore.

I also have some ancient Dektol in an unopened (small) 'can'. I kept it unopened because I never saw it in a can before.

Paul

15. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  16. panastasia

panastasia Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
  17. SuzanneR

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These threads got started around the same time... maybe the mods can merge them?

18. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Threads merged. Note that posts are now in chronological order, irrespective of the thread they were originally in.