The handy thing my hubby made!

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by BWGirl, Oct 27, 2006.

1. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been gearing up to start printing this week. It's been a while since I've been in the darkroom & I've acquired a second enlarger since I printed last. Well, I knew that I would have to 'share' my dandy RH Designs timer between the two enlargers, and was resigned to unplugging & plugging in whichever enlarger I wanted to use.

I'm basically lazy, so I was lamenting to my hubby that I wondered if there was something like the old "A-B" switches used to share a printer only for power. Brilliant guy that he is, he told me there was not such a thing, but he could make it.

Well, I got busy with my grandaughters, and next thing I knew, he told me it was finished. :surprised: We plugged it in, hooked everything up & "ta-da"! Works like a charm! Now, I just flip a switch to transfer power from one enlarger to the other! Dang, he's smart! :D

2. Stew Squires

Stew Squires Member

That's why it's important to give in whenever he needs some new tools. With the right tools he could probably build you another timer too. :D

Stew

3. Mark_S

Mark_S Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    With the right tools, I am envisioning an addition to the house, with a large studio with North facing window, and in the basement below that, a new darkroom with plenty of space, ventilation and a great stereo system.

"Here's a hammer and a saw honey - do you need anything else?"

4. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I took the pre-built route. I wired an IEC connector that the RH Designs timer requires to a 6 outlet power strip. I can put those little wall socket on/off plug adapters on the power strip and control up to 6 items with either the enlarger or safelight side of the RH Designs timer. That way I have my choice of any combination of safelights or of two enlargers.

Lee

5. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Jeanette, Why am I not surprised? Bill is a very intelligent man. I truly enjoyed his company and conversation. Nice to see that you made it home safely.

6. Dave Starr

Dave Starr Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The most dangerous question my wife ever asked me...... "Honey, if you had the right tools, could you build this?" He, He. She's the best; she didn't even blink when the 2 White Lightning 800's arrived today. Maybe that had something to do with the new living room furniture arriving today, too. :smile: :D

7. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do tend to give him whatever he wants. :smile: Hence the canoe kit and rowing boat kits. We have alwayys been very supportive of each others interests.

Yep, Donald... we made it home! :smile: I made a few prints from our workshop. So far... not too bad! :wink:

8. Gay Larson

Gay Larson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You are ahead of me Jeanette. I can't seem to make much time for the darkroom since my family and work always have plans for me. Tell Bill I think he is a genius. Glad you made it home and happy printing.