The importance of an instruction manual

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by DaveO, Aug 16, 2014.

1. DaveO

DaveO Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just got my 120 film back from NCPS and found only 2 of 23 exposures came out. It had been a long time since I used my Rolleiflex 3.5F and I had the lever on the top left turned to flashbulb ( 1/30 sec ) instead of the electronic setting for the speedlight that I was using. It makes me feel really dumb after spending $ 37 on developing and scanning to see the results. I have no idea why two of the pictures even came out. The other 21 are underexposed enough to not be fixed.
    It goes to show that it is good to read your instruction manual before shooting. I had a copy with me in my camera bag too.

2. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The old computer expression is RTFM (the polite version of which is Read The Full Manual).

3. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    We all make mistakes. The smart ones learn from mistakes. Gee, I hope I'm smart someday! :smile:

It sounds like you are one of the smart ones.

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It could be worse, you could have been shooting a wedding.
    I've had the M flash sync. on my Mamiya medium format lenses disabled because I never use flash bulbs and to avoid these sort of accidents.
    Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014
  5. rbultman

rbultman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can you explain this please? I don't understand how leaving them on any given setting my help prevent accidents. I always leave my various cameras and lenses on X with the rationale that I only have electronic flashes.

Thanks,
    Rob

6. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The time delay on the shutter opening and sync. with the flash firing is different for electronic flash and flash bulbs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_synchronization

7. Alan Klein

Alan Klein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "When all else fails, read the instructions."

8. snapguy

snapguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    stray

I used Rolleiflexes and Yashicamats proferssionally since the 1960s. The "M" and "X" settings can be vexing. I currently own a Yashicamat that was owned by a large international news photo service and used in the 1960s. The cameras has several modifications that suit a professional. One of them is a small screw drilled in the front of the camera to prevent the lever from accidentally moving from "X" to "M." That lever can move when you are taking the camera out of the camera bag, or whatever, and it will ruin your day if you are using strobe -- which was virtually the only flash used by the wire service photogs at that time. Without that screw you just have to learn to be a tad bit paranoid about seeing the lever is in the right place when using strobe.

9. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have also read that some of the Yashica shutters will lock up if you try to use the self timer with the switch on M sync. I'm considering a drop of silicone adhesive on the lever of my 124G. (Though I use a self timer about as often as I use flash, bulbs or otherwise, so it probably doesn't matter much. :blink: )

10. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Correct, it happened to my 124. it's so easily knocked ... my solution consists of duct-tape however

11. oldtimermetoo

oldtimermetoo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Importance of an instruction manual and flash sync. info.

First, older shutters have, in some cases, three flash synch. settings: F, M, X. If the shutter was set on F, it had a 5 millisecond delay so the Gas-filled bulbs could start burning 5 milliseconds before the leaf shutter was wide open. Set on M, there was a 20 millisecond delay and of course on X there was no delay for electronic flash. For focal plane shutter cameras, a third bulb was made with a 20 millisecond delay and a longer burning period. It had the letters FP in front of its nimber. As has been said earlier, tape the synch switch so it won't move from X unless you want to use flash bulbs for old times sake. As for the instruction book, better yet would be to make yourself a "check list" to take with you until you get it memorized. And, of course, it won't work either unless you use it. You have just heard from "the voice of experience" who made the same mistakes more than once.

12. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Read the friendly manual?

13. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i wouldnt feel bad
    i know someone (seasoned pro, now of 40 years? ) who bought a graflex slr and insisted he
    read in the manual he could plug his 2 prong paramount cord onto the pc
    and he ran probably 5 rolls of 120 through it trying to determine the synch speed ...

he didnt find it ....

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014
  14. DaveO

DaveO Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the answers. Even the humorous ones. I just need to use the Rolleiflex more often before they stop making a lot of the film for it. It's hard when you have a digital camera sitting there not doing anything.

15. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is too easy to accidentally change the flash synch setting on the Mamiya TLR lenses.

16. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It could be worse, you could have been shooting a wedding ! .
    I've had the M flash sync. on my Mamiya medium format lenses disabled because I never use flash bulbs and to avoid these accidents.

17. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I actually saw a large format lens where someone had glued a block in place to permanently jam the flash sync to X. And once I also saw a large screw had been inserted the same way to keep the flash sync on X. It wasn't pretty, but you couldn't mess up your flash that way.

18. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes it is. I found that out last year.

19. mweintraub

mweintraub Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nevermind, I see now that you said you were using an electronic speedlight. *le sigh* You might need to work on your manual reading, I need to work on my reading comprehension.

Question. I'm assuming you were shooting with flash? I ask because I've never heard of a camera firing differently (ie. single shutter) when set to "M" sync

20. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    X flash sync is instantaneous M sync. has a 20 milliseconds shutter delay for flash bulbs.

21. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many years ago, I was shooting a wedding in a large hotel with a Mamiya-Sekor twin-lens-reflex camera.

During a break in the activities, I met a colleague who was shooting another wedding in an adjoining ballroom. He commented on my camera and asked if he could see it because he was thinking of buying one. I carefully watched him as he inspected my camera to make sure that he did not accidentally drop the camera or open the back and expose the film.

After we parted to return to our respective weddings, I quickly checked my camera to make sure he had not changed by exposure settings. My settings were correct; however, I noticed that he had changed my sync setting from electronic flash (X) to flash bulb (M). Had I not found this change, the rest of my flash shots would have been ruined.

https://flic.kr/p/oPrHJV

Attached Files: