THE LAST JOSHUA TREE WORKSHOP / GETTOGETHER on February 26, 27...

Discussion in 'Workshops & Lectures' started by per volquartz, Feb 13, 2011.

1. per volquartz

per volquartz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    For the past ten years I have had the great pleasure of putting together this informal group gathering in Joshua Tree NP, just east of Los Angeles.

From a simple beginning in 2001 with only a handful of people showing up there have been times where we were well over thirty..
    We have braved cold weather, wind, snow storms and rain, and have also had wonderful warm and pleasant skies. The campfires at night have been so great that the flames most likely could be seen all the way to China.
    Professional photographers as well as newbies have come. All have willingly shared information, technical knowledges and great lasting friendships have been forged.
    This will happen again this year!

It is my hope that someone else will grab the torch and keep this valuable event going well into the future.

Again, this will be the last event that I plan. If you are interested in coming please be sure to email me right away.
    February 26, 27 = just around the corner.

Per Volquartz

volquartz@volquartz.com

http://www.pervolquartz.com

Facebook: Per Volquartz

2. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Per, I'll see you there with the 14x17 and one other smaller camera my 8x10!

3. akaa

akaa Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'll be there too, though not with a 14x17 :smile:

4. Jan Pietrzak

Jan Pietrzak Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Per,

It is hard to believe that this is the last one. I wish I was closer so I could get to Joshua Tree one more time. I had a lot of fun showing work and talking about photography/platinum&palladium printing/and what ever else came up. Thank you for letting me be a guest. You have a bunch of youngsters that can lead on, Jim, Matt, Tri, Hugo, they just need a good boot in the b---. I wish you all well, and have a great a time and have a glass of wine on ME, Matt is buying.

Jan Pietrzak

5. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    So, Per how many are coming to the get together? Any idea yet and are you speaking to the rain gods?

6. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I intend to go Jim,that would be four of us.

7. Dan Dozer

Dan Dozer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi Jim,

It's raining out here tonight so I hope that will bring good weather next weekend. By the way - in case someone wants to camp out, you can let them use your 14 x 17 as a tent. From your photo, it looks bigger than you are!

See you guys Friday afternoon.

Dan

8. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Joshua Tree is a magic place, used to live less than an hour away but now it is a little to far. Would really have enjoyed to be there for the last one but hey, have fun and take some killer shots.
    Per, be well.

9. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Dan, you know how I feel about the tent thing after last year!! I hope I bring good weather with me. It would be about time! I'll call you when Matt and I are on the way. I'm going to cut the trip in half by staying at his place Thursday night.

10. madmax

madmax Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I will be there. It will be my first time there. Directions to where everyone will be would be great. Look forward to it. Thanx in advance

11. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Madmax,come in the main entrance and get the free map (after you pay entrance fee) and look up Jumbo Rocks,walk around tell you see Jim with his new two story point and shot tent/camera,then you know you are there.I'll be there Friday or Saturday,hope to see you.If you still have my cell phone # call me,reception is can of iffy there.

Mike

12. akaa

akaa Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey Mike, I'm going to be there too, but not sure if I should be camping or staying in a hotel. What is everyone doing?

Aris

13. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well Aris,I'm not sure if I'm camping or going to motel.I like camping to be where the action is early morning and late evening.Alot of them camp out at Jumbo Rocks,but there are motels close by.Hope to see you there.

Mike

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. ghostcount

ghostcount Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike, I'll be there also - most likely Friday night camping at Jumbo. Maybe we can talk about Tonopah logistics.

16. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That will be good,I'll try to be out there then Fri.See if I can borrow my daughters tent,I've got a butane cooking stove and a old Coleman lantern.
    Mike

17. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Nice to know that some new people are coming. We can post the sites that we have at Jumbo Rocks on the bulletin board when you check in. I'm staying in a motel this time (thanks Dan) and Matt Blais and I will be coming up sometime on Friday. If interested PM. me phone numbers and I can help get everyone together. Remember the cell reception in the park is virtually non-existent.

18. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok Jim,see you there.

Mike

19. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Make sure you bring the Snapple, Mike!!!

20. Dan Dozer

Dan Dozer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    MadMax,

We always go to Jumbo Rocks Camp Ground. There a lot of camping sites there. If you go all the way into the campground, about the last loop on the right before you get to the end (don't remember the camp site numbers there - maybe someone else will say if they know) is where we normally go. First ones there on Friday afternoon usually set up a couple/few big cameras/tripods so everyone can find us. I'm guessing that there may be a good group this year - maybe over 20 because it's the last "official" year for Per to be organizing it.

Hope you find your way there OK. Always good to have new people come.

Dan

21. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jim, are the campsites reserved under Pers name,or some thing esle.

22. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Mike, no not that I know of. Generally we just show up and take over the place. I'd ask Per just to be sure.

23. Hal Beesley

Hal Beesley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm planning on getting there Saturday. See you all.

Hal

24. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Federal campgrounds can get uppity about "workshops" using their facilities -- requiring permits, etc. As long as they know it is a non-profit, freeforall sort of thing no problem.

I was assisting for a workshop that traveled up the Oregon coast -- one of my jobs was to get campsites each night. No problem with the state parks, but got in trouble at a US Forest Service campground at Sutton Beach. I got visited by two ranger types who started to talk about the need for permits, etc. Fortunately I was also working as a seasonal Forest Service wilderness ranger at the time, and they granted me some "professional courtesy" and said just to take the "workshop" sign off the bullentin board. I put up a sign saying "Weston and Adams Family Reunion" instead.

25. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    We have always called this a "get together" Maybe we will call this the "Per Reunion"

26. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Per reunion sounds about right.

Mike