The master Plus-x thread

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by kompressor, Aug 26, 2009.

1. kompressor

kompressor Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    After searching APUG for discussions on the subject: Plus-X from Kodak i found only some words from Thomas Bertilson on a few rolls he fucked up in pyro.

Today this film is sold in 135 and 120. Its branded 125PX on the flm rebate. This has changed from earlier emulsions. Yesterday i bought 4 boxes of Plus-X Pan in 4x5" (PXP) dated 1999. I attached a picture of what one off my test sheets looked like.

I hope other people also like this great film from Kodak, and maybe have som "trivia" on it to share.

Attached Files:

2. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I love it. I can't say I shoot it all the time, but I do shoot it frequently. It's my slower go to film, counterpart to Tri-X.

3. kompressor

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I tested it on EI64 and developed it in Xtol 1:1 in jobo. But in 120 i like it 6 minutes in Xtol 1:1 or 1+100 in rodinal for 18 minutes. I know that many portraiture photographers just love this film. Morten Krogvold a Hasseblad master, use it a lot. But even on Kodaks own web pages, they doesnt give much attention.

4. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Forget Plus-X. I wants me a ginger ale now...

5. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I suddenly find myself thirsty.

6. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 4x5 film only shares the Plus-X name with the 35mm and 120 emulsions.

4x5 Plus-X was prized for Hurrell style portraits. It had an upswept HD curve - sometimes called 'all toe' - that leads to increasing contrast in the highlights and rather blocked shadows. The film was also good for winter snow and ice scenes, flowing water and other highlight intensive subject matter.

The 4x5 film hasn't been made for quite a few years.

7. raucousimages

raucousimages Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I bought hundreds of sheets when it went out of production. It is my main portrait film.

8. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very nice example, by the way. I've never had the chance to use the sheet film version of Plus-X, but I sure do like the roll film version. Say what you will about FP4+, Acros, Delta 100, and even TMax 100; I just love this stuff. Even the much adored, and now gone, APX 100 has nothing on Plus-X. To those who haven't tried it, just do it. It's easy to work with. No fancy schmantzy developer needed either. D-76 or ID-11 will get you box speed with no problem and very good shadow detail.

9. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i mainly shoot it small formats, maybe in a blue moon 120.
    i don't particularly like the tab grain tmx/tmy in 135
    and i love the way plus x looks in just about any developer
    it is developed in. i often times ( for work ) will process it in sprint film developer
    which is a d76 with out metol sort of fluid, and i love to soak it in coffee and ansco130 ...
    i wish they made it large still, i would trade all my tmy/tmx i have in 4x5 sheets for
    +x ...

nice sodapop!

10. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am sorry to say I have never sunk my teeth into a roll of Plus-X yet. I really would like to try some. I like your sample photo!

11. marcmarc

marcmarc Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been shooting a lot of the Freestyle branded Plus-X (Arista Premium 100) since it hit shelves not too long ago. While nothing can replace my beloved Agfa APX 100, Plus -X is a very nice film and one cannot beat the price for the consistant quality. I shoot it usually at iso 64 and develop in Rodinal 1+100 for 10 minutes.

12. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A different emulsion, no doubt, but I've shot a bit of PXR (Plus-X Reversal) in Super-8, and in that format I think it really shines.

13. Rlibersky

Rlibersky Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    As far as I am concerned this is the best portrait film made. Sure do miss the 8x10.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got 75 sheets of it in 4x5" that I never gave much thought to, expired in the 80's though.
    And I just got a roll of it in 16mm single perf and super-8, interesting. Time to pay it some more attention I guess.

16. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Does anyone know if there is any existing film with something close to this "all toe" character?

I've used it Plus-X in small format, developing in Rodinal, where I got some nice grain. I have a bunch of it in 120 to test, it's a nice film but for doing available light on northern latitudes you really need a tripod.

17. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Plus-X in Rodinal is a standard, that should be #1 or #2 on anyones Must Try list. I also very much like Plus-X in Xtol straight, replenished, in 6x9. Brassy, metallic metals. In UFG at 250 Plus-x looks to be a winner for wintertime flat light, with smooth tight edgy grain. A tremendously flexible film.

18. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just rediscovering this film, funny how you move on and try new stuff, forgetting how well the old films performed. I process in Pyrocat with no problems, gives a great look.
    BTW, I have been told that Arista 100 is re-badged Plus-X, is this true?

19. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

PX and PXP are two different films

20. kompressor

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know for sure that there is Kodak products for sale at freestyle, re-branded.

21. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm sure it is. Looks like, feels like, and smells like Plus-X. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it must be a duck.

22. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The age-old preferred developer for Plus-X is D:76 used 1:1.

23. Don Wallace

Don Wallace Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a long-expired box of Plus-X in 4x5. I am going to give it a test soon to see if it is still ok. I wonder if Kodak ever does special runs? A box of Plus-X in 8x10 would be tantalizing.

24. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, thank you for using my name so eloquently... :smile:

Plus-X is great film. I am inclined to believe that my past problems was due to contaminated or aged developer. With that taken care of I processed quite a few rolls of Plus-X in Rodinal. I used an unconventional 1+200 dilution and processed for half an hour or so, agitating every 5 minutes.
    The results were really nice, actually, and I printed some of those negs yesterday. Very smooth but with excellent sharpness and bite at the same time.
    I have since switched to Tmax 400, but sometimes miss shooting Plus-X. I might use it again some day, just for portraits. Wonderful tonality and great sharpness and bite. The grain is quite beautiful. If you ever want to experiment with D23, Plus-X is probably the optimal partner for it.
    I have seen Randy Libersky's prints from those negatives and they are stunning.

- Thomas

25. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used Plus-X and TMAX 400 in MF, and I have to say that they're both fantastic films. In HC-110 dil. H, Plus-X gives you very snappy highlights, and outstanding sharpness. In XTOL 1+1, TMY gives almost the same level of sharpness, but with a more even tone curve.

I like Plus-X a lot with snow and bright light scenes because it preserves the blinding light feeling these scenes give. I haven't played much with TMAX enough to make comparison, but I feel sorry for having neglected these two films earlier on.

I must say I don't like Plus-X in 35mm, because I haven't managed to find a good development regimen for it. Perhaps it's also because Tri-X is the 35mm look, that I have a hard time appreciating other films...

26. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Count me in as another happy Plus X user up until now in 35mm only and it looks great processed in D76 1+1 at box speed. I do have say with a propack recently purchased, I can't wait to try out Plus X in 120 in my borrowed Rolleiflex Automat.