The Maxxum/Dynax hotshoe-ectomy?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Wolfeye, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I received and eBay-bought Minolta 5400HS flash yesterday, but the hotshoe is trashed. I can get at 2000xi flash for a song, so I was wondering if I could swap the shoe. Anyone know if this can be done? The bottoms of the flash are different, but the shoe is the same, so it looks like I should be able to do this...

Or if anyone has a dead 5400HS they'd be willing to part (no pun intended) with, I'd be interested!

2. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning, WolfEye;

I believe that you can. Let me look at my 5600HS (D) and one of the 'xi flashes to confirm that the shoe is the same; I think that they are.

3. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think they are too, so I went ahead and bought the 2000xi. I took the 5400HS apart last nigh and the hotshoe itself is wired to a connector which plugs into a socket inside the flash body. If the 2000xi has the same thing it should be an easy fix. The shoe and a tiny PCB is held on by four internal screws.

4. winjeel

winjeel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I haven't done it, but I think it shouldn't be a problem. I have the exact same flash, and it's a nice tight fit on the Minolta Alpha Sweet II (probably sold as Dynax 5 in Europe), but is pretty loose and wobbly on the Sony A200.

5. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    No go. Took the 2000xi apart only to learn the connector plug is totally different. The 2000xi plug is a 4-pin while the 5400HS is six. Looks like the 5400 is trashed until I can find a nonworking one to buy cheap.